cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile USB Modem needs Unlocking

mydhen
Tuning in

Hi, many years ago we were using a Virgin Mobile USB Modem, Huawei E160E to access the internet via a mobile antenna on our property which is in a reception fringe area. When Virgin Mobile discontinued the service we eventually shifted to an Optus pre-paid SIM which I used on my mobile phone. I would like to use the Optus SIM on the Virgin Mobile E160E but it's locked. Is there anyone here who could advise me on unlocking this modem?

By the way, I am so very impressed with this community site! You folks are great! My online activity started in the mid 80s on the Melbourne PC User Group bulletin board. I intend to stay on this board! Thank you, even if you can't help me with this question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just a quick thought.... you mentioned moving to Optus which I think is Australian. This forum is UK based and Virgin UK and Virgin AU are two separate companies.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @mydhen, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Firstly thank you for the feedback on how you have found this forum, everyone on the forum will always try to be as helpful as they can.

Secondly I'm not too sure at the moment if this will be possible as it can depend on whether we have the equipment active etc. I will need to check this further so I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just a quick thought.... you mentioned moving to Optus which I think is Australian. This forum is UK based and Virgin UK and Virgin AU are two separate companies.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Nathan, I did realise that Virgin Media is different to the Virgin Mobile dongle I had, which I inherited from my son and renewed the account for a few years until they ceased operation. I thought there might have been <some> link though. But reading this forum, I developed a respect for you people, so that even if you can't help me, I'd like to stay and maybe contribute in some way, as I have a lot of computer history behind me.

Thank you enlii! Both Virgin Mobile and Optus are/were Australian. The Virgin Mobile dongle was using and Optus SIM. I rang Optus but they were no help. I will be going to a local Optus Store tomorrow. If they don't have some idea on unlocking, I will see if I can buy their Huawei dongle to use with my existing Optus pre-paid account. The dongle has an antenna socket, the antenna being critical where we have our block of land in the country. Thank You once again!

Hi there thank you for your reply and confirmation that you are in Australia. We won't have access to your details from here as we only deal with any UK based accounts. Apologies.

That being said of course you are more than welcome to remain on the community, any help given is very much appreciated by all 🙂

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules