Menu
billy82
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile 5g

Hi.

The media states that 5g is now out on virgin mobile. How many people now have access to this 5g. Does anything change or get updated. I started my contract when the samsung galaxy s20 ultra came out and the contract was. You get 5g when it comes out. When will this happen. I have looked on the coverage map and tested 2 locations and 1 of them used show good indoor and outdoor 5g. Any ideas 

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Mobile 5g

So coverage is provided by Vodafone, it is limited coverage at the moment but it is rolling out, 4 new locations nearby myself that have been upgraded but yet to be turned on.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
billy82
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Why does it say its in 100 cities and when in the coverage area I still don't get 5g, do you get 5g

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So issue with most providers is that they can say they have coverage in x amount of places but literally the coverage can be from one mast,

The occurrence I'm seeing with Vodafone is while they are doing very well to get infrastructure in place I don't think they are able to get the back haul (internet connection) in place until later so they can't turn on the transmitters,

So if you look at Vodafone coverage and status maps they have an option that shows planned coverage and in my area some of the mast which have 5G kit on them are showing there predicted planned coverage, however some are not as these maps aren't always very accurate or have the latest information.

I don't have Virgin Mobile and I also don't use 5G on my main device, however do have a test device that supports 5G and it has found coverage in a few places around but due to the higher frequencies that 5G 'currently' uses coverage footprints are very small and blocked by a lot off things and indoor coverage is possible but unlikely to be a thing for a couple years to come yet.

The only network I can commend for there 5G rollout currently (when it comes to availability in the places it says it is) would be EE, as EE have a policy of not announcing places with coverage until coverage hits a certain level of reliability and availability.

There's a reason I don't use 5G and that's because its not really required and when I can use 4G and get 400mbps and at least 100mbps in most places I'm already beating early 5G test results.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos