Menu
BarryT
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Very poor 4G service

I was getting over 40Mbps on my phone when I was with EE.  To save money I switched to Virgin and now can't get 4G inside the house or outside.  Speeds are shocking.  When I ordered the SIM by phone I told them I needed a good speed as tether the phone when my Virgin broadband was down.  I was assured I will get a good signal and speed.

I spent over half an hour on the phone and sadly I could hardly understand the call handler but her only advise was to clear the phone's cache.

Any advice on what I can do?  I have had the SIM card 3 days, I have reset the APN, cleared the cache, rebooted the phone - no difference.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very poor 4G service

New SIM so you will be running on Vodafone's network not EE. 

To be certain if you do a network search and find EE listed but not Vodafone then you are definitely running on VF

You may have to leave under the 14 day cooling off 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi @BarryT

I'm so sorry to hear you are having this issue with your mobile signal and thank you so much for your post!

I have checked your area and I can't see any towers etc that could be causing you an issue. Can I ask if you can see any issues on any other phones in your home you may have? Thank you. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BarryT
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have put my wife's EE sim in my phone and am getting over 40Mbps.  The Virgin SIM is getting 3 Mbps in her phone.   I have no option but to cancel the SIM under the 14 day cooling off period and go back to EE.  

My main worry now is that my Virgin Media contract isn't messed up because Virgin's call handler told me the price of the mobile 30 day contract, took my DD details (different bank to the one I use to pay for Virgin Media) and didn't tell me she was lumping it in with my Media contract!  I am hugely annoyed about this, I didn't want my Media contract changed at all.

This has been an expensive mistake.   My new EE deal is costing me a lot more for less data than the one I had last week and had been on for years. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just check you are not on an Oomph package as there are no 30 day contracts for stand alone SIM only mobile.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I am so sorry to hear this @BarryT and I don't blame you for feeling this way at all. 

I'd love to help get this sorted for you, can I just check, do you have just a SIM with us or is it the handset as well? Thank you.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BarryT
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Just the SIM, I always buy my phone outright  and unlocked. 

0 Kudos
BarryT
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Oh heck!  I have been put on an Ooomph contract.  I specifically told the call handler I didn't want my Virgin Media contract changed or affected in any way. 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi BarryT,

Thanks for confirming this with us.

I can take a look into this for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
unisoft
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I feel your pain.

I was switched without warning from EE to Vodafone.

Now the following:

• Weak as hell 4G 1 bar at most signal at home location compared to 3-4 on EE
  • Data transfer from 60-70mbps down on EE to average of 3-7mbps on Voda
  • No Wifi Calling options anymore
  • People can't hear me when they call me but can always if I ring them. This is random on incoming but like 80% of the time.
  • VoLTE should now be an phone option on Voda network, it isn't.

Sent a new SIM (even though old was couple of months old), used 2 other models of phone with SIM - no joy.

Phone IS supported on Vodafone's network as they sell it direct (Xiaomi 10T Lite).

Pop an EE or O2 SIM in my phone and Wifi Calling and VoLTE lights up.

Been 3 months so far with this mess and looks like reverting to EE network again now until VM get kicked off.

It's with a VM agent, but still waiting.

0 Kudos