Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

VM cancelled mobile contract but keep taking direct debit

My mobile contract was cancelled in July. This has been confirmed by email from Virgin Media dated 10th July 2020. The email message stated that payments would continue until August 8th 2020, but Virgin Media has continued to take direct debit payments. I have spoken to them and they have confirmed the contract has been cancelled, but they continue to take direct debits.

How do I get through to someone who will take action on this?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM cancelled mobile contract but keep taking direct debit

You could speak to your bank, and invoke the direct debit guarantee to reclaim all incorrect payments, and cancel the direct debit.  However, because VM are so shambolic, they may pursue you either for the money that the bank will chargeback to them, and any future attempted payments as a credit default.  If VM mark your credit history with a default, that'll be a problem for the next six years if you want any UK credit (including mobile phone or ISP contracts, energy supply, credit cards etc.

So my suggestion is to leave the DD in place for now and raise a formal (postal, recorded delivery) complaint to Virgin Media, seeking the cessation of them taking money they are not entitled to, and a reasonable amount of compensation for the nuisance, inconvenience, stress and the fact that they've already been contacted about this and still aren't competent to sort out a simple cancellation.  From receipt of your complaint VM have eight weeks to resolve the complaint to your complete satisfaction.  If they don't (either no effective response, or an inadequate settlement) then after eight weeks you escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, who undoubtedly will sort it out in your favour. 

If the forum staff can intervene and get this sorted then that will be quicker and easier than formal complaints - but if they cannot, or there's not a reasonable goodwill gesture (your judgement, I'd suggest £70 plus all money they've incorrectly taken), then still go down the complaint and escalation route.  This is basic stuff, VM shouldn't be this incompetent, don't let them off the hook easily.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM cancelled mobile contract but keep taking direct debit

Hi walthamyank, 

Thank you for getting in touch and apologies for the delay in response. 

I am sorry to hear this has been happening, i appreciate the situation must be frustrating and we will do all we can to assist. 

Was this a contract for a SIM only or with a handset please? 

Can you please confirm if you are still receiving monthly statements and if yes, what is appearing as charges on those statements?

Thank you 

Nat
0 Kudos