Menu
the_jez
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Used phone - need Unlock code

Hi,

So this query isn't about my account, but my mum's who is also with Virgin. She isn't tech savvy and I need to help her remotely (which is difficult!). So I bought her a phone off Amazon which is from a reseller, which said it was unlocked to all networks. After it arrived, she put her existing Virgin mobile SIM into the new phone and received a message something like "Need network unlock code and my phone isn’t allowed to use this SIM card"

She said that "I spent a very long time on a phone call to Virgin who insisted that I need to contact the retailer/provider (Samsung) to unlock handset. I said to to the guy - Alex we were going round in circles and decided to leave it until today."

I have contacted the Amazon seller because it's seemingly is not unlocked if she's getting that message.

Is there anything at all that Virgin can do for her, by providing an unlock code? It's causing her a bit of distress being without a phone. If possible and if I need to verify the account details, I can ask her - she would not be capable of following troubleshooting if asked directly. From some searching online, most people just cough up some money for an unlock code by using a tool, but I don't want to spend more money with no assurance that it'll actually fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Used phone - need Unlock code

Little Virgin can do over an unlock code as that rests with the original network who issued the phone.

Some older, basic phones can be unlocked by online code generators but there is usually a charge 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
the_jez
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Used phone - need Unlock code

Ok I think we're all good. The Amazon seller made a mistake and provided the code to me and I think my mum is all good now!