cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to 5G

yodaonacid
Tuning in

I’m going to buy a new 5G capable phone. I currently have an iPhone XR on Virgin monthly SIM only plan (4G).
Can I get a replacement sim on the same monthly plan for the new phone. Or do I just simply put my existing sim from the current iPhone into the new phone when I get it?

5 REPLIES 5

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will only get 5G if you have been moved from EE to Vodafone. That is an ongoing process to the end of this year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Moz
On our wavelength

@enlli wrote:

You will only get 5G if you have been moved from EE to Vodafone. That is an ongoing process to the end of this year.

Is there any way of checking?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Moz wrote:

@enlli wrote:

Is there any way of checking?

Easiest way of checking is to do a manual network search. If EE is visible but Vodafone has disappeared then the likelihood is you are on Vodafone

No EE and Vodafone visible then you are still EE

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

For those still following this thread. I got the new phone on Saturday and on Monday merely went through the automated online system on Virgin mobile and upgraded my existing monthly package to a shiny new 5G contract,  as from what I understand from the information on the website,  all new contracts are now 5G sims and the phone now seems to recognise that change over. 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @yodaonacid

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm glad to see the community was able to advise you on this, and to hear you got your new 5G contract sorted. 

I can confirm, if you have a 5G compatible device, the sim we provide will be a 5G sim.

If you have any further queries or any issues, please pop another post on this thread and we will happily assist. 

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide