Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade SIM has stopped my IPhone working, can anyone help me?

Ok this is really easy. I was using a Virgin sim in an IPhone six for the past three years. It worked perfectly and I was so happy.

VIRGIN MOBILE sent me an upgrade SIM ( which I didn't ask for) and after following the instructions I put it in my iPhone six. Now it doesn't work at all. The error message was "this sim is from a network provider that is not supported under the activation policy currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another sim from a supported network provider". 

So my. New Virgin sim does not work in my iPhone that just supported my old virgin sim for three years? Doesn't make sense does it. So I put my old sim back into my phone and now I have NO SERVICE? So my old Virgin sim doesn't work anymore either so I have no means of communicating except emails!

if done turn off & on seven times, even factory reset, I've called Virgin Helpdesk who were not interested and spent more time arguing over my password.

now I have NO SERVICE and am paying Virgin for nothing. 

I have been a customer for 15 years and they are doing nothing to help me. If anyone out there have been through this Virgin imposed mess can you let me know how you fixed it as Virgin won't.  15 years of payments down the drain!

thanks to whoever can help me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade SIM has stopped my IPhone working, can anyone help me?

You need to ask the question in the Mobile Help forum

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I believe that iOS message means that the phone is network locked, which Apple used to do to the first SIM inserted.

The older Virgin Mobile SIMs get picked up by iPhone as EE SIMs.

The new SIMs are Virgin Mobile's own (even thought they still currently connected to the EE network), so the iPhone see them as a different network. So if the iPhone is locked to EE network SIMs, it has to be unlocked first.

Where this happens for iPhones that Virgin Media sell, they'll provide unlock codes so the new SIMs work.

As I understand it the problem is that Virgin Media can't usually request unlock codes for devices that they've not sold directly, and it would need to be the original retailer that submits the request to Apple to unlock the device.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post CllrPCarter and welcome to our community.

As BenMcr has helpfully advised it does sound like the new SIM may be our updated SIM card now we've began using our own.

If this is the case and you have your iPhone with us please let us know and we can pop you over a private message to pass security on the account and getting the unlock code for you.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Dear Ben Mcr, you are 100% right that's exactly what has happened but why do Virgin cause this to occur as it has cost me time, money and a lot of hassle including having no Comms for four days now.

thank you for your very spot on answer you are very clever and most helpful but now I need to get Virginto sort my phone out before I join a rival provider, which I don't want to do.

grateful thanks!

cllr P. carter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emily yes I have just replied to Ben and he was so accurate as to what has happened yesterday I went to car phone warehouse where they charged me £30 to tell me that my Virgin phone is now locked to EE, I was nit happy at all. Why are Virgin creating this problem?

anyway if you can let me have an unlock code that would be great. You can't text it to me as my phone doesn't work but you can send it via this forum? Or to my wife's phone which is, [REMOVED] please state the text is for me.

many thanks for your help Emily

regards

Cllr P. carter.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike Robby, seems like Ben Mcr got it in one and Emily is going to assist me now, many thanks for your advice
Cllr P. carter
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi CllrPCarter,

I'd just like to make sure that the iPhone was purchased through us? If so, I'd be able to help with getting your phone unlocked for you via private message.

Regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

My daughter who is a Virgin mobile customer bought it a few years ago from Virgin Mobile and then when she upgraded to iPhone 8 she sold it onto me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Okay, no problem.

Check out the purple envelope for a message from me

See you there,

Beth

0 Kudos