Menu
Jcwd15
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Updated my network settings for 5G. Now I only have 3G!!

I received. Message to tell me to update my network settings as 5G is now available. 
so I did this, and now I can only receive 3G!!

I have an iPhone 12.

0 Kudos
tuckeratlarge
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Updated my network settings for 5G. Now I only have 3G!!

Hoe do you update your network setting? (iPhone)

0 Kudos
Skennett
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same boat I have iphone 12 I updated carrier settings on Friday and now I can only get edge and that won't even load a page!

Yet other people I know have virgin and they have full 4g in the same places.

0 Kudos
madacj
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A78CFAA9-9C63-426C-8043-408BD80509BF.png

I’m in exactly the same position, have an iPhone 12 mini updated carrier settings last night only to find out that the options to choose between 2G and 3G have gone completely from the mobile data settings menu. Have only got 5G and 4G options available to me now.

No 5G reception at the moment so only got maximum 2 bars of 4G signal at the moment.

Customer Services told me via their text messaging service that the poor 4G signal I’m getting is due to a fault in my area and that should be fixed soon.

They also told me at first that I have been transferred to the Vodafone signal and that once this fault in my area is fixed things should improve. 

However in there next reply after I asked them more questions they said that I haven’t been moved to the Vodafone signal yet because it this fault in my area. So according to them my signal is in a kind of limbo state between EE and Vodafone. So now I have no clue what’s going on and Apple can’t be of much use either but apparently it’s nothing to do with the phone, it’s not faulty or anything but apparently won’t be able to get the 2G or 3G signal options back.

Also some customers appear to have had text messages saying they are on the new Vodafone signal and 5G is available in their area. I never had one of these texts. 

I created a thread of my own for this issue but nobody has responded yet 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Carrier-Update-can-no-longer-choose-2G-or-3G-sign...

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Even though the options are no longer there, your phone will still switch to 2G/3G if necessary, but will prefer 4G. All networks now have 2G and 3G set to very low priority level so your phone will only switch to them as a last resort. 

I would also turn VoLTE on as this will give you access to the 800MHz spectrum for phone calls which works better indoors. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

I would also turn VoLTE on as this will give you access to the 800MHz spectrum for phone calls which works better indoors. 

That was true for EE. Vodafone carries VoLTE on a range of frequencies

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
madacj
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Could @Chris_W1 or anyone else from the Virgin Forum Team give us any clarity or information on this topic? Thanks

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Madacj, 

Thanks for your post I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this have checked and can see you are ee hosted and in your area, there is no 5G, if you wish I have checked and there is a limited 5g with Vodafone in your area. Are you able to use 4g still?

Zoie

0 Kudos
madacj
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am able to use 4G but it is very poor it fluctuates between 1 and 2 bars of signal. I thought all your mobile services are moving to Vodafone signal? I was under the impression that your partnership with EE had expired?

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Jcwd15, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear that your mobile data network has gone down to 3G.  Has things improved since your original post?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos