Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Unwanted Order for a new SIM ....

Why has an order been raised today for a new sim card for my phone ??  The order which I didn't place has a reference from Customer Services for today 5th Jun 2020 and is timed at 03:49 am...  Not a time I often see !!  

The first I found out about this order is from an email sent to me this morning by mail@virginmedia.co.uk - saying my order is on it's way - I didn't order It !!  - my phone is working perfectly - so I do not need for a new SIM...

I am also sure this email breaks all the GDPR rules as it shows my name, full address, full mobile phone number and the new SIM card number - which is an unwanted breach of my privacy for something I did NOT order....

Regards

Disgruntled of Doncaster

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unwanted Order for a new SIM ....

Two possibilities:

1) Most likely: Just part of the changeover that VM are doing from using the physical EE mobile network to the Vodafone network.  Of course, if you have poor Voda reception in the areas that matter to you, that's not good news.  Since (in this case) VM have only sent your personal details to you, there's no GDPR issues.

2) Less likely - but still possible: Fraud.  VM forum staff will be able to advise accordingly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unwanted Order for a new SIM ....

@Andruser has it almost right. 

The e-mail is clearly from VM. That is a legitimate VM address.

The SIM replacement programme which has been underway for sometime is being stepped up. The new SIM enables VM to manage its virtual network independently of the service provider which remains EE for the moment.  You'll be even more disgruntled if you don't replace the SIM when yu get it. Your service will just stop working.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos