Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unable to tether abroad.

Hi,  I'm currently unable you tether my phone while abroad, specifically Holland.  Read various other posts on it.  Customer services says no restrictions but it's not working. Simple. 

Can't change the APN type to * as it only gives me 3 options either internet,  MMS OR both. Looks like it is restricted and customer services are not aware of it.  It only to use as a data connection on a sat nav which uses only a very small amount of data but gives traffic info. Any help would be appreciated or I'll just have to swap networks. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to tether abroad.

Will your Sat Nav not teather via Bluetooth for now?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The phone connects no problem but won't share the data. Turn on the phones wifi and it shares,  turn it off and using just 4g it doesn't share the data.  Same for mobile hotspot on the laptop.  No sharing of data..

It works fine in the UK no problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm perhaps confused but when I tether wifi has to be turned on so it can be used to create a wifi hotspot to connect other devices. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I'll try to explain differently. 

With the sat nav, I turn on Bluetooth tethering.  If I'm in range of a Wi-Fi network the sat nav connects to the internet via the phone.   However if I'm away from a Wi-Fi network and only on the phones data it will not connect to the internet.  It is connected to the phone for calls but not sharing data. It's the same for mobile hotspot and the laptop. Abroad that is. 

However when in the UK it connects to the internet no problem in both scenarios. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi njlynch1,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Although we now support tethering we cannot guarantee this will be available outside of the UK.

More information regarding the policy around this can be found here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-problems-when-abroad

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When Virgin introduced the new SIM their core roaming partner changed from EE to Proximus.

Some roaming countries were lost as was 4G in some others. From peoples experience and the fact that APN settings changed from Virgin to Proximus, we soon realised that when roaming you were subject to Proximus standards and not Virgins.

This is possibly the reason and why Virgin can't guarantee things will be the same 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.  Yep that's the problem.  It works in Belgium when I crossed the border and the network changed.  Ah well,  I'll try my luck with O2 see if they're any better. 

0 Kudos