Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Unable to tether abroad

I have always been able to tether my tablet using the mobile hotspot on my samsung phone, both in UK and Europe. This is my first trip away since being told to put in a new sim a few months ago and I cannot tether. I can use data on my phone, the tablet connects to the hotspot, but it says no internet. I have tried switching providers, taking out the sim, ringing virgin customer service twice, but still not working. Each time they say they have refreshed things and to wait 24 hours, but still no good. I have tried a different phone on the same french network, and that will tether to my tablet. So something is amis with virgin and their settings but no one seems to have the answer. I am finding it very annoying and frustrating keep ringing 789 and being fobbed off. Any one got an answer?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to tether abroad

Hi Julie1234, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had using your Virgin mobile as a WiFi hotspot with your tablet. 

Can you confirm if you have an up to date purple VM SIM, or one of the older red ones? 

Tom 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Tom

Its purple

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know Julie1234, please let me take a look from our end - I'll send a PM shortly to confirm a few details & hope to hear back from you soon. 

Tom 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for those details & completing a security check.

I started by checking the account to make sure all the settings are correct - and everything appeared to be fine. 

From there I went to speak with our 2nd line tech-support team who were able to clear things up - unfortunately as part of the fair usage policy for our mobile service, tethering isn't supported outside of the UK. This isn't something I was aware of previously, so I do apologise for the delay in confirmation & any disappointment caused. 

Tom

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tom for looking into this. So when did that come in? as I tethered in Spain in May. I have read on the forum that others have had problems but been assured that virgin do allow tethering abroad, so very odd!  Someone posted on here that they were  told by customer services that tethering isnt allowed abroad, and the reply they got on here from virgin  was that virgin do support tethering abroad and apologised for the customer being given wrong information by customer services! See reply from Emma C Forum Team  to Ian007007 on 22 Jan 2019. States 'Virgin fully support tethering and it is not restricted to the UK'. So who is right? So all very strange. 

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Bonjour from France - sorry could not resist, should be saying Selam!, but Thomas Cook went down 3 hours before our flight to Turkey 🥴

We have one Virgin purple SIM here which is Tethering fine on the Bouygues network, so guess it is the network you are connected to restricting Tethering and not Virgin themselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Of course there's a big difference between not supported and not allowed.

Teabag, try sfr as well if you get a minute.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have tried all 3 French networks and still no luck.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Julie1234

You can try editing the APN if a Android phone.

Set APN Type as a asterisk = APN Type: *

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos