Menu
Leedsgooner
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ultimate Ooomph package & 5G sim

Hi,

Upgraded to the Ultimate Oooph package last August & have a Samsung S20 with a 4G sim, can i get a 5G sim at no additional cost as we have just had a lovely 5G mast built about a mile away ?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ultimate Ooomph package & 5G sim

There was a recent reply by the team to a post on the same topic it seems you are limited to taking out a new SIM only contract or waiting until your turn arrives in the switch to Vodafone.

This applies to bundles taken out before 25th January this year.

Here is the post

- If customers upgraded to Ultimate Oomph after January 25th when 5G was launched they should already be on Vodafone and have access to 5G. If it was prior to that, then they  will need to (re-contract) to a frontbook 12 or 24 month SIM Only plan - or wait to be automatically migrated later this year.

You won't need a new SIM when it happens

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mjlee3010
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I recently upgraded to Ultimate Oomph about 3 weeks ago, but not in a 5G area yet. 

The indoor coverage is poor on my area with EE, do you know if or how it is possible to move to Vodafone as I know that has good signal where I live?

Coverage is so poor incoming calls don’t ring when I receive a call. Agents on the phone say it should be fine but really not getting anywhere. 😞

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @mjlee3010

Thanks for posting on the community forum! Sorry to hear you're having issues.

If you run through virg.co/coverage - what does this say in relation to your coverage?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mjlee3010
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Travis_M wrote:

Hi @mjlee3010

Thanks for posting on the community forum! Sorry to hear you're having issues.

If you run through virg.co/coverage - what does this say in relation to your coverage?

Regards

Hi! It says this

Superfast 4G mobile
The speediest way to browse, stream music, plan your route and watch videos on the move. To use 4G, you'll need a 4G-ready phone and a 4G plan.
- Good

3G internet, calls and texts
The connection you need to browse, check in, update your status and use your apps. 3G steps in when you're out of 4G range, or if you're on Pay As You Go.
- Very Good

Currently on the device I only receive 1 bar and cannot seem to take incoming calls. When I do take calls it often drops or is very crackly.

I also have an EE direct SIM which always has better reception, much clearer voice so not sure why it’s so poor on this Virgin setup? I’ve had 3 SIMs and multiple attempts where settings have been changed but with no proper fix yet.

I thought when upgrading and recontracting up to Ultimate Oomph I would be moved over to Vodafone as that is very good where I live.
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Here is a link to EE coverage checker direct, but there is a big proviso. EE have 800MHz 4G which is better in poor areas and certainly improves indoor coverage. Your friend could possibly have access to that buy Virgin don't and that could be the reason for the difference.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to say any Oomph SIM from Jan 25th this year should be on Vodafone 

0 Kudos
mjlee3010
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had a new SIM delivered 3 weeks ago which the agent had a feeling would move to Vodafone and said to call back if not. It’s definitely on EE still, still just as crackly and cannot take incoming calls. I don’t think I’ve seen the signal go past 2 bars, ever, anywhere. The phone cannot be faulty as I was on Voda before Virgin and tried the SIM in the past on another device.

Part makes me feel it’s something wrong deep within my Virgin mobile account settings, or I suppose it really just is this poor reception wise. Calls drop all the time. Or should I be calling VM instead of mobile and see if they can change the package so it’s a 5G SIM instead?

If EE can be fixed, great. But it just feels so frustrating I cannot be apart of this new Vodafone offering when I know there’s good signal here.

0 Kudos
Sofia_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response @mjlee3010

Ah apologies this hasn't help explain the issue, I can appreciate this is super frustrating. 

I'm going to send you a PM so we can look into this for you. Please look our for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide