cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate Oomph SIM - when will I get 5g?

simon69c
On our wavelength

I’ve been on Ultimate Oomph for about a year now I think but despite having a 5G capable phone (iPhone 13 Pro) I am still stuck on 4G only. Checking the carrier selection I see Vodafone as an option so I am still on the EE side by the look of things. I did call CS a few weeks back and they sent out a replacement SIM but hasn’t changed anything - I’m still on EE/4G. Anyone know the latest on when we are due to be migrated to Vodafone and be 5G-capable? I thought it was supposed to be by the end of the year.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @simon69c

I'm so sorry that you have faced this issue with your SIM deal and waiting for the upgrade. 

If you would like to migrate over to 5G then we would recommend waiting until the upgrade which should happen next year, although we do not have an exact time yet, or you can call us on 0345 600 0789 and an agent will look into your Volt options with you. 

If you did decide to wait we usually send either a text or an email when a migration has happened. 

Thank you and so sorry I couldn't be of more direct help with this. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

37 REPLIES 37

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to add to the confusion, when your oomph deal ends and if you renew, you'll move to "volt" and will get 5g via O2

simon69c
On our wavelength

The Oomph deal I’m on isn’t actually time-limited so I don’t really have much reason to renew it (ultimate volt would cost more even at the introductory rate). Will be a bit annoying if I have to move to ultimate volt now to get 5g - I thought originally they had said everyone would be migrated onto Vodafone and get 5g automatically when that happened. I don’t think I want 5g enough to give up my current Oomph deal, but just want to know if I can at least still expect it to happen eventually or not.

Hi there @simon69c

I'm so sorry that you have faced this issue with your SIM deal and waiting for the upgrade. 

If you would like to migrate over to 5G then we would recommend waiting until the upgrade which should happen next year, although we do not have an exact time yet, or you can call us on 0345 600 0789 and an agent will look into your Volt options with you. 

If you did decide to wait we usually send either a text or an email when a migration has happened. 

Thank you and so sorry I couldn't be of more direct help with this. 

I’m in the same boat. Every time I phone up, they say “no problem, we’ll send you a new sim”

new sim arrives, it says on the card it is 4 g ready, I put it in my iPhone 13 and can’t get 5g to work. When I search for networks, I see Virgin, vodaphone O2 etc, but never EE. I think they keep sending me new old EE SIM cards. I thought they had to be off EE by the end of last year. Any idea if there is a new deadline?

very annoying, my wife joined our plan on sim only and they sent her a 5g SIM card straight away, but it seems I can’t have one!

customer service seems shocking st the moment. 😞 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Blackberryipod wrote:

I’m in the same boat. Every time I phone up, they say “no problem, we’ll send you a new sim”

new sim arrives, it says on the card it is 4 g ready, I put it in my iPhone 13 and can’t get 5g to work. When I search for networks, I see Virgin, vodaphone O2 etc, but never EE. I think they keep sending me new old EE SIM cards. I thought they had to be off EE by the end of last year. Any idea if there is a new deadline?

very annoying, my wife joined our plan on sim only and they sent her a 5g SIM card straight away, but it seems I can’t have one!

customer service seems shocking st the moment. 😞 

The whole move is a mess, but that's not unusual for Virgin. There are no firm dates on anything it seems.

Add to that nobody is told when they are changed over, all they know is their sign / data rate has changed or disappeared.

ASDA changed from EE to Vodafone last year in a 2 month time frame and customers were informed all the way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Blackberryipod (great username)

Thanks for coming back to us. I've checked this here and OOMPH SIM's are only 4G not 5G. I am sorry for any confusion.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@John_GS wrote:

Hi Blackberryipod (great username)

Thanks for coming back to us. I've checked this here and OOMPH SIM's are only 4G not 5G. I am sorry for any confusion.

Best,

Even more confusion!

Are we saying Oomph SIMS will remain 4G when the move to Vodafone is complete? If so is it a ploy to get people off Oomph and on to a more expensive VOLT package?  (I suspect the team will not be able to answer this second question, but it is a thought in my mind.)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sounds like it to me..

It actually sounds like Virgin are wanting to kill off the Ultimate Oomph Sim cards, rather then migrate them to 5G...

Along with the eSim farce I don't think Virgin Mobile will be around for much longer

Hi John,

sorry it’s a very old username, but slightly more interesting than iphone_user etc.

If 5g isn’t available to Ultimate Oomph users then why don’t the VM customer services tell me that? Also why have other forum users been migrated? Will these guys only get 4g on Vodafone?

Thanks,

Jonathan