Menu
raotorraotor
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Two 2G phones. One works, the other doesnt

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here can shed light on a little mystery. My old Dad has the original Nokia 3310 phone. I ordered him a cheap Virgin SIM only option, just £6 a month for unlimited minutes. He doesn't text or use any data, so it was the perfect SIM for his needs. He lives in a fairly rural part of south Wales and mobile signals are somewhat of an issue there. Vodafone appears to offer good coverage where he is. However, I setup a mobile 4G router using a Virgin SIM for him over a year ago and it has worked brilliantly for him, allowing him over 25 megabits download speed from his original BT landline 1.5 megabit performance. The reported signal strength was three out of four bars on the router, but not had any Internet issues using this router. So, I decided on a Virgin SIM for his mobile as he's now dropped his BT landline. The SIM arrived and he inserted it into his old 3310. It showed the same three out of four signal strength bars as the router and yet, I could not hear him at all and at very best, I'd get a second or two of intelligible voice, then almost nothing! Apparently, he was able to hear me. We tried several times, me calling him and vice versa, to no avail. I was baffled as to why his mobile failed so badly using essentially the same SIM as his working router. I was about to cancel the SIM deal under my 14 day statutory right when I had an idea. I had bought him a much newer non smart phone Nokia 105 a while back, but he couldn't get on with it. I asked him to try the new SIM in that. It worked perfectly! We could hear one another loud and clear without any break of signal. He walked around his property and went outside and all was well. Initially, the only thing I could come up with to explain this, was that perhaps his new phone must be using the 3G system rather than the 2G of his old 3310. Perhaps the newer network protocol worked well, just as his router evidentially did. So, all's well then? Not quite. I later discovered that even his newer 105 only uses the old 2G network system, so the same as the almost useless 3310. Two 2G only phones: One works fine, the other almost not at all! So, why might this be?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two 2G phones. One works, the other doesnt

Please post in the mobile support forum, not the broadband one

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello @gary_dexter 

I have moved the post saves having to double post.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Raotorraotor.

It does sound like the handset is having trouble connecting through when calling for some reason. Is the newer handset working with the SIM now?

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
raotorraotor
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the newer handset, a Nokia 105, works fine with the Virgin SIM. However, I am puzzled why it doesn't when installed in a classic Nokia 3310. The 3310 works just fine using a Vodafone SIM and is also a 2G handset like the 105 is, so what is it about the newer 105 that allows it to work with the SIM. Just curious as they are both 2G based handsets.
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@raotorraotor wrote:
Yes, the newer handset, a Nokia 105, works fine with the Virgin SIM. However, I am puzzled why it doesn't when installed in a classic Nokia 3310. The 3310 works just fine using a Vodafone SIM and is also a 2G handset like the 105 is, so what is it about the newer 105 that allows it to work with the SIM. Just curious as they are both 2G based handsets.

If the 3310 works with a Vodafone SIM and we know the Virgin  SIM is OK that leaves us with the strong possibility that the older phone has been network locked by Vodafone in the past. This was common practice at the time of these phones.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us, we're not sure with the handset specifically as if you can connect then it shouldn't be the fact it's locked to the network as it shouldn't connect with the SIM at all if this is the case. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
raotorraotor
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well, this 3310 was purchased as an unlocked phone. My Dad had to manually register the SIM when it was installed in the old 3310. Only 3 networks were listed: Vodafone, BT Cellnet and One-2-One. He selected One-2-One which gave him a signal, allowed him to make and receive callss, but the quality was so bad, it was unusable. Put that SIM into the 105 and the quality of reception is perfect despite showing 3 out of 4 bars for network signal.
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this, it sounds like the network on the phone isn't connecting to our signal too well.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos