cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble closing fraudulent account

nuchs
Joining in

I'm just trying to catch someone from Virgin's attention here as I am at the end of my tether. I was misold a Virgin mobile contract and now I can't close the account.

In April this year I was contacted by someone claiming to be from 3 mobile asking if I wanted to renew my contract. As my contract had just ended I said yes and then went through a process where I had to answer dozens of questions. At the end I (stupidly) gave my bank details. The next thing I know I receive an IPhone 14 from Virgin who start biliing my for a new contract.

I contacted Three who told me they have never contacted me and that my account with them was still open. I then contacted Virign where it turned out that the account had been registiered in my name with my bank details but no other matching details (so not my email address or home address and with an account password I don't know). The operator was able to identify the account via the IMEI of the phone I had been sent and I was told it would be sorted within 7-10 working days.I was then billed for the contract. I then went through a cycle of calling Virign every couple of weeks, using the IMEI to identify the account and being told someone would be in contact within 7-10 working days. Sometimes they would raise a fraud ticket, sometimes not but no-one ever called me back and Virign kept on charging me for the account.

Late September I as told that I needed to return the phone (not an issue as it was still in it's orignal wrapping) and then the account would be closed. I did this via DPD using a bag provided by Virgin but they continued to charge me. At this point I was very frustrated and cancelled the direct debits (for some unknown reason there were two), after which I started to receive texts informing me of my missed payments.

This time I raised a complaint and received a slightly garbled email (presumably auto generated) which said that I needed to contact an unnamed team on a number that wasn't provided. It did give a number to contact the complainst team on if I wasn't satisfied with the resolution. I tried calling that number but it just to took to a phone menu system which I had no way of navigating my way through as I don't have enough information about the account I want to close.

Virgin then WhatsApp'd me to check on the progress of my complaint and I managed to get myself put through to someone who was very friendly but ulimately they couldn't do anything becuase they only identifying information I have for this account is my bank account details and my name.

I'm not really sure what to do next, I'm seriously worried that I've shot myself in the foot by cancelling the direct debit and that it will affect my credit rating.

I dont' really know where to go from here, the ombudsman?

1 REPLY 1

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi nuchs,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Sincere apologies for any issues faced regarding a fraudulent account, so we can investigate this matter further please expect a PM from myself.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain