cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfering Virgin to O2 mobile

Jviney
Joining in

I transferred existing TV/broadband/landline package to a new deal which was subject to taking a new O2 SIM to substitute for my existing virgin mobile SIM.

I want to keep my same phone number and was told this would be done remotely by Virgin.

Now I've received a PAC no from Virgin and an email from O2 saying my new SIM is on its way with a new phone number.

Question is ..if I put new SIM in my phone will my old number still work? I was under impression this would be sorted automatically at your end. Or do I have to do something else?

7 REPLIES 7

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jviney 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Thank you for your query regarding switching your number from a VM sim to an O2 sim. We want to do our best to help. If you have already requested a PAC from us as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/keep-my-number, please get in contact with O2 to give them the PAC as seen here  https://www.o2.co.uk/business/support/accounts/switch They will aim to process this as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I was told when I switched TV contract (and was asked to switch from Virgin Mobile to O2) that the mobile side of things to allow me to keep my old number would be done remotely by yourselves because you are now the same company so that when I receive new O2 SIM card I can just put it in phone and use my old number. 

When I receive the SIM card do I just put it in my phone and my old number will work automatically? 

I have received loads of texts and emails from Virgin and O2 with PAC number and new phone number (which I don't want) and am now thoroughly confused.

Can you give me a straightforward answer please?

Hi @Jviney,

Until you carry out the transfer with the PAC, the Virgin Mobile SIM card and the O2 SIM card will have their own respective numbers.

If you want to transfer your Virgin Mobile number over to O2, you will need to make contact with O2 and provide them with the PAC. They'll then begin the transfer.

You can contact O2 by calling 0344 809 0202 (or 202 from an O2 handset).

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks for your reply.

To get the TV package at a sensible price I had to do the mobile SIM transfer from Virgin to O2, so no choice really.

Do I put new  O2 SIM physically in phone before I contact O2 or do I leave old Virgin SIM in while I do this?

Cheers 

Hi Jviney,

It won't really make a difference if you do or not 😊. Although we'd recommend to continue using your Virgin Media SIM card until your give your PAC to O2. I'd then advise to switch over your O2 SIM card into your device whilst waiting for the port to go through, so you can keep an eye on when the port completes. UK mobile number ports usually take up to 48 hours, however it may take slightly longer if the port was requested over the weekend.

Thanks.

Beth

Many thanks....much appreciated 

No problem at all, Jviney.

Give us a shout if you need anything else!

Beth