Menu
shodan007
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Topping up confusion

Could someone help me understand how topping up works?

I topped up with £10 on April 20 on my Big Talk - Virgin Media Customer Special plan. 

But Virgin does not give me my mobile ‘inclusive texts, minutes and data wherever I go in the EU at no extra cost - until May 1st.

If I use up all of the £10 by May 1st, there will be no allowances left for May?

So I’d have to top up with another £10 - but those allowances won’t kick in till June 1st?

If I don’t make any calls in May, does the £10 go towards allowances in June, or do I have to pay another £10 for June?

‘At no extra cost’ must mean there is a charge being taken from the £10, but I can’t find info on this. 

Also nothing on Faire Usage call limit. So I could go over the Fair usage limit without knowing, and start being charged full whack.

I am understanding correctly?

Apologise for all these questions, but calling customer service on 789 from France does not work - after telling me my credit, it automatically hangs up. Is anybody else having this problem? 

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Topping up confusion

Hi Scott, thanks for your post.

Sorry for any confusion around Big Talk. The tariff is explained in more detail here.

You just need to top up during the month and your rewards will be applied on the 1st of the next month, you don't need to top-up again before the 1st of the month - as long as you topped up £10 or £15 the month previous you will get your rewards regardless of however much credit you have left - however you do need to leave a bit of credit remaining to cover the cost of a chargeable call/text/data usage - even though you won't be charged you need to leave a buffer to be able to use the free allowances.

The top-up's don't roll over - to get the rewards on the 1st of each month you need to top up £10 or £15 every month. If you don't, you don't get the rewards.

Fair usage for mobile is detailed here for guidance: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy/mobile-acceptable-usage-polic...

Hope all of that hels, however I'm unsure what you meant when you said: "At no extra cost’ must mean there is a charge being taken from the £10, but I can’t find info on this." ..can you clarify what you mean?

Tom 

0 Kudos
shodan007
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tom, really appreciate your explaining it.

Regards "At no extra cost’ must mean there is a charge being taken from the £10, but I can’t find info on this." ignore, this was me over-complicating things.

Do you know why I'm no longer able to speak to customer service on 789 from France? I get my credit balance read out, then the call ends before I can speak to anyone at Virgin.

Scott

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Glad that's helped Scott, the number to get hold of the mobile teams from abroad is +44 7953 967 967.

Tom 

0 Kudos
shodan007
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm guessing that number is charged premium rate? 789 worked fine from France a few weeks ago, now it only give the credit amount, then the call ends.
Before, I could talk to Virgin staff. Are you able to contact Virgin themselves, ask why 789 no longer works from Europe?
0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's the same as calling a mobile from abroad.

I wasn't aware that you could use 789 abroad to be honest as far as I'm aware the number above has always been the one to use outside of the UK.

Tom

0 Kudos
shodan007
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks
0 Kudos