Menu
KG111
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Think my contacts are in Belgium

Another issue ongoing since moving over to virgin. It thinks some of my contacts are in Belgium and has changed their numbers to +32 not +44 like they were. When ringing if it just says you have dialled an incorrect number.

ive had nothing but issue after issue since changing over to virgin and also my wife who changed over at the same time experiencing similar issues. Biggest mistake ever and most frustrating.

customer services will just waste another hour of my life. Shocking.

anyone else experiencing similar problems?

cheers

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Think my contacts are in Belgium

Yep, that's because Virgin SIM cards are Belgian and your phone gets confused. 

This seems to fix it

Go to:

Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications -> tap "Roaming" -> tap "Select Mode"

I found "automatic" was selected by default.
Tap manual -> then choose National.
Now make sure your numbers are set to the correct format. If not change region to anything other than UK (Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> Region) and then change back to UK region

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

''Yep, that's because Virgin SIM cards are Belgian and your phone gets confused. 

This seems to fix it"

@Enlii, surely this SHOULDN'T have to be done.

Can VM not even get the country they are 'selling their wares' in right?? Shows what a bunch of 🤡 they are, no other 'competent' company would do this to their paying customers!! 

Not as if it's rocket science to get the manufacturers to change the programming for these sims now, is it?? No other provider has this problem...

Once again, VM showing total and utter contempt for the people who actually pay their wages!! 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@HughJarsse  When Virgin decided to use thier own core network they had  problem because the old SIM cards were basically rebadged EE. They also needed a SIM that would allow them to change network suppliers without the need to reissue. They solved this by going into some sort of arrangement with Proximus of Belgium. Virgin would deny this but there is evidence from a number of sources to say that Virgin customers are in effect roaming in the UK on a Belgian SIM. (Old versions of Android actually display the roaming symbol) That is why sometimes iPhones for one reason or another think they are in Belgium. Changing the roaming settings in SIM toolkit prevents this from happening.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

"They solved this by going into some sort of arrangement with Proximus of Belgium. Virgin would deny this but there is evidence from a number of sources to say that Virgin customers are in effect roaming in the UK on a Belgian SIM"

So, once again, VM take the 'cheap' option, and can't even be bothered to get Proximus to alter the data on the sim to reflect UK not Belgium.

It's not as if this is the only problem with these purple sim's is it now..Heaven knows, this forum has enough people complaining of various problems with them. I have had to swap to '3' due to poor signal, which only happened when I was forced to swap to the purple sim from the red, signal went from 4 /5 bars on red to 2/3 on purple, and battery drains more rapidly, as phone searching for a signal!! despite being in the same locations!! (long post about it ages ago, finally gave up, despite having 2 'new' sim's sent, neither any better!)

Cheapskate way out, too tight to pay a few extra coppers to do the job 'properly'. As I said, and half decent company would do the job 'properly' not 'back door' or 'fell off the back of a lorry Guv' sort of thing...

As I said, not exactly rocket science.

VM operate like the 'back street traders'.... but even Dell Boy Trotter would look good, alongside this lot, that's for sure!!  

Moving my phones one by one to '3', as they have far better signal, and far better 'customer service' too. (there are real 'humans' who can speak the Queen's ENGLISH, and don't read from a script in broken  'Indalish'. They also actually listen to what you say, rather than constantly interrupting you!! Oh, and they are actually quite knowledgeable too, without resorting to promises to get someone to 'call you back' ) 😜  Bonus!!

0 Kudos