Menu
Kilb9
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The WORST customer service I've ever encountered

Hi everyone,

This is a follow up to my original post about Virgin sending my Mum a new sim card that rendered her phone unusable. Original post below:

I 'm hoping somebody can help me. My Mum, who's in her late 70's, was sent a new sim card and was told she had to replace her existing one in the next couple of weeks or her phone would stop working. She has an original Nokia 3310, yep it's still going! She did this and got a message saying 'Sim card not accepted' she then put her old sim card back in and got the message 'Registration Failed' so her phone now doesn't work at all, with either sim card, so she can't call Virgin or text them! I've been all over their site and can't find any phone numbers to call to speak to someone about this, why are there no numbers to call,? I've had to join this forum to try and get in touch with someone from Virgin or get some help from users that may have had the same problems. My parents don't have an internet connection so they can't get on line either. They live in Leeds and I'm trying to help them out but I live in London. She has about £40 of credit, she has pay as you go, and is now scared she's going to loose it. Can anyone please help?

I then got a response and a private message asking for:

My name, to confirm whether I was the holder of the account. Wasn’t my original post clear enough saying it was my Mums phone I was trying to help her with?

Mobile number or full address including postcode.

Characters 1, 3 and 5 from my memorable word. My Mum had no idea she had an account set up by Virgin. She had never rung or spoken to them. She puts money on her pay as you go by physically going to the Post Office and buying credit there!

I replied saying I wasn’t the account holder. I gave them the phone number, said we had no idea if the password and that she’d been a customer since 2003/04.

I then got this response:

‘So we’d need to get the characters of the password as you’re not the account holder and we cannot discuss the details of the account without passing security’

I replied:

‘I've spoken to my Mum and she has never set up an account with Virgin and doesn't have a password or memorable name. She has a swipe card that she uses to top up at the post office.’

I then got this back:

‘So any SIM card from ourselves will have an account connected to this, if the account holder can get in touch we can go through alternative security and reset this if needed. 

She can contact on 789/0345 600 0789 or over text on +44753 305 1809.’

I got my parents to ring the 0345 number. Then messaged Virgin back saying ‘my Dad rang the 0345 number you gave me but was pushed round the automated system being offered more services. They were then asked for a phone number, for text help but Mums phone doesn't work any more so he gave them his number, he's not heard anything so far The system also asked for an address for a printed sheet to be sent to help them with there issues! They never got to speak to anyone. Can you help?’

I got this reply:

‘Sadly as I've said, we couldn't pass security so I'm not able to look into the account to help with this. 

The account holder would be the one who needs to contact the team to pass security through secondary questions and then reset the password so you or your father can assist with this if your mother has some trouble with this.’

To which I responded:

‘If I give you their landline can you get someone to call them?’

This was what I got back:

‘We can't make or arrange calls with the mobile team I'm afraid. She can call the team on her landline on 0345 600 0789.’

This is insane! A department in a huge multimedia company can’t pick up the phone and call another one to request a call to a customer who has been with them for 16 plus years? Are you kidding me? I understand the need for security but, come on, a bit of flexibility and understanding? Obviously not!

I called the 0345 number given. After being on hold for 50 minutes I got through to some one, who asked me for letters of the password. I explained what had happened. She was very sympathetic. I said all they had to do was send my Mum a new phone that worked with the new sim card they’d sent her. I wasn’t asking for a new iphone 11 or anything just a simple phone that that made calls and sent messages. The person on the phone said some one would call my Mum on Sunday at 11am. At 5pm no one had called, she’d stayed in all day waiting. I phoned Virgin again. I was on hold for 35 minutes. When I got through to someone I explained the situation, again! They said they’d get some one to call my Mum and put me on hold for 10 minutes. When they came back they said they were sorry no one could call today as they’d all gone home but some one would call tomorrow, Monday, at 10am. It’s now ~6:30pm as I write this and, surprise surprise, no one from Virgin has called. Once again Mum had stayed in waiting for the call, wasting 2 days of her life because Virgin can’t seem to keep its appointments!

This is the worst customer service I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. It seems they really don’t care and can’t be bothered with a pensioner, who’s only on pay as you go, even if they have been a customer for 16+ years. Truly awful!

I know this sim problem has happened to others and it has been sorted out quickly, as reported in this post so why can’t they sort it out for my Mum?:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/New-Sim-Poor-treatment-of-80yr-old/td-p/4361504

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: The WORST customer service I've ever encountered

I've pushed this through to the forum team for you

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Kilb9
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, it's much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kilb9,

Thank you for coming back to us in our community, I am so sorry for any inconvenience this has cause you and your MUM, so I can help I am going to invite you into a private chat so I can take some further information.

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos