Menu
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Text off virgin to say im losing all mobile services except 999 from tomorrow?

So I've just noticed a txt received earlier supposedly from virgin to say that from tomorrow I will lose all mobile (phone) services unless I insert the new sim card.  I received a similar such message about 10 days ago and like this assumed it was either a fake or a phishing txt because simply put I have never received any such sim to replace the current sim, I've not requested 1 and I've received no phone call or correspondence at all with regards to needing to replace the sim. 

But as I've now had this second txt it's made me question the txt. Anyone any ideas as my phone is needed and I can't afford to lose services yet not had any sim card?.  Or is there a number for a UK based call centre I can call to enquire? 

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Text off virgin to say im losing all mobile services except 999 from tomorrow?

I've just tried calling the standard 789 number to try and verify if the text saying all my services will be barred tomorrow is genuone as I've not received any such sim.  Only the message says they only deal with lost or stolen phones at this time and to call tomorrow after 9am?.

So is there no other number I can call as I need to verify if the text is genuine as I can't call back on a barred phone tomorrow if it was? 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Text off virgin to say im losing all mobile services except 999 from tomorrow?

It is 100% Genuine 

I'll flag your post for attention 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli, I hope this can get resolved before the morning. 

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tried again going through the process to talk to someone as if a lost or stolen phone out of desperation as that seems the only option at the moment.  Briefly explained the issue and that as I received no sim card I never took the text as genuine and wanted the check if the latest text today was genuine they simply told me they can't deal with me tonight and to call back tomorrow after 9am!!!!.   Telling them I've just explained that I cant call back tomorrow if your barring my services can I.  They just repeated the same line several times!!!.

Seriously, its not like they are busy, they answered within seconds but refused to look into the issue to confirm if they will bar all my services or to try and delay the barring!!! 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This SIM swap process has been ongoing since 2017 and has been well publicised on this community and in wider media channels.

As I understand it the process was paused earlier this year due to the Covid crisis, but has recently been started again to mop up all the mobile accounts that have not been picked up in the previous rounds.

As ever with these situations it is the customers who ignore or simply don't read the advanced notifications, that suffer in the end.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I can't ignore a sim I've  already stated I've not received can I?.  Neither have I received any postal correspondence on the issue from virgin or phone calls about it were they that bothered and it a genuine issue. Virgin are often quick enough to call me to sell and try to get me to upgrade services to the put where its pretty much hounding without saying anything about the sim issue.

And besides I get quite a few fake and repeated phishing texts all the time, just today 1 off PayPal and the other day 1 off EE despite not having any service off them then a few last month.  Nothing about these sim texts gave any reason to feel them any different as nothing has been received to make me think otherwise and I've not been on any virgin social media platform in several months either. 

I just hope they can hold off barring (the texts word not mine) my paid services until this issue can be resolved. 

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I can't ignore a sim I've  already stated I've not received can I?.  Neither have I received any postal correspondence on the issue from virgin or phone calls about it were they that bothered and it a genuine issue. Virgin are often quick enough to call me to sell and try to get me to upgrade services to the put where its pretty much hounding without saying anything about the sim issue.

And besides I get quite a few fake and repeated phishing texts all the time, just today 1 off PayPal and the other day 1 off EE despite not having any service off them then a few last month.  Nothing about these sim texts gave any reason to feel them any different as nothing has been received to make me think otherwise and I've not been on any virgin social media platform in several months either. 

I just hope they can hold off barring (the texts word not mine) my paid services until this issue can be resolved. 

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave606,

Thanks for your post. I'll send you a PM shortly to get your account details and have a look at your service and SIM.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Cory, replied to pm

0 Kudos