cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message harassment while abroad

MikeB59
Joining in

I’m on holiday in St Lucia and Virgin Media are bombarding me with text messages with (1) welcome to X your local call charges are Y and (2) No data or picture messaging service? Text ALL to 789922 and we'll send the settings to your phone .. 

I am quite literally receiving 100s of these per day and it it very annoying and I don’t know how to stop them apart from maybe blocking the caller.

Even worse you can’t even geographically pinpoint where I am and not one of the welcome to X messages has me in St Lucia but instead a mix of USA, Jamaica or Barbados.

i had considered whether I needed mobile coverage out here but we are surviving with messaging when on Wi-Fi so these messages are totally irrelevant and bordering on harassment.

Mike

5 REPLIES 5

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They are automatically sent when your phone logs in to a roaming network. Problem is every time the phone changes the roaming network another message is sent.

Take your phone off Automatic Network Selection and Manually select one network 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for tip but tried that and selected Digicell network but it didn’t stop the messages 😞 Back in UK now so no longer an issue but was a pain whilst abroad.

Thanks for coming back to us MikeB59 and I'm sorry that you had to experience that whilst outside of the UK. We will pass this onto the team to be looked into further.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

hansi
Fibre optic
Mike, I had the same issue. I was on a Caribbean cruise and kept receiving theses texts. They told me I was in the USA, Jamaica or Barbados. Spent a lot of time deleting them!

Hi @hansi, thanks for your message and sorry toe hear you received these too.

As mentioned, this has been passed on to avoid future customers experiencing similar problems.

Thanks for taking your time to get in touch.

Many thanks

Tom_W