Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tethering using my data

Hello, I'm reposting this as I can't see how to follow up on an answer posted. Newbie syndrome! I've looked at my SIM only contract T&C's and can't for the life of me see anywhere where it states I'm allowed to tether another device to my phone using my monthly data allowance. I know how to set my phone up to do it but am I allowed to? I've looked at the Fair Use contract and the only time it mentions tethering/ using your device as a mobile hotspot it seems to imply it's not allowed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tethering using my data

Yes. It is allowed 

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy/mobile-acceptable-usage-polic...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is all I can find in the link you provided :-

"Data usage on some Virgin Media tariffs is for mobile internet services and data consumption actually on your handset. It does not include using your handset as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets - also known as "Tethering". Please refer to your terms and conditions and other communications from Virgin Media to check whether this applies on your tariff."

It would suggest tethering is not included and I've looked at the T&C's on my tarrif and it's not mentioned there either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Rule of thumb...

Lots of people doing it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean by rule of thumb. It's either allowed or it isn't and I was after a definitive answer really. Probably better to ask through the text message service and see if I can get a clear yes or no.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Joesa wrote:

This is all I can find in the link you provided :-

"Data usage on some Virgin Media tariffs is for mobile internet services and data consumption actually on your handset. It does not include using your handset as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets - also known as "Tethering". Please refer to your terms and conditions and other communications from Virgin Media to check whether this applies on your tariff."

It would suggest tethering is not included and I've looked at the T&C's on my tarrif and it's not mentioned there either.

That's from a while back - at one point it was allowed on a 4G plan but not on a 3G plan. However that difference was removed and tethering is allowed no matter your plan.

It's why there is now help on how to do it https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-how-to-tether-device

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks for everyone's help. Good to know. 

0 Kudos