Menu
19segr
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tethering in Europe after Brexit - some clarity needed please

After a couple of frustrating online chats, I'm none the wiser, so I'm hopeful for some answers so I can order the £10/month SIM for 10GB deal. I spend some time in Europe and want to be able to tether using Roam Like Home. I understand this is possible but just need some reassurance that we will be able to continue to use tether/Roam Like Home even if a no-deal Brexit occurs. Other networks, like Three, have said that their equivalent roaming arrangement will persist no matter what. Can Virgin Mobile also guarantee that they will maintain Europe-wide roaming as they do now in any Brexit scenario?

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tethering in Europe after Brexit - some clarity needed please

Do not think you will get any answers from Virgin on that subject at all - untill the time has come.

Just for your info, that SIM/plan is £16 full price, you can use link below to work out the roaming data FUP is. £16 + 10gig data allowance = 6.68gig roaming allowance at the moment  https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
19segr
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Other services like Three have already guaranteed they will keep their current roaming arrangements. I am hoping Virgin Mobile can supply a guarantee that if I sign up with them they will honour conditions as per the start up contract - continued roaming like home in EU. 

0 Kudos
19segr
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Teabag!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I doubt you will get any guarantees. Virgin now use Proximus as their base roaming partner, not EE as previous. As they are Belgium based one would think you would be OK, but it will be down to them. If they up the wholesale rate to Virgin then there is little they can do about it.

Three had Roam Like Home in many European countries before the EU rules came in to play, so I guess they can fall back onto those deals.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I just checked (because I thought proximus were liberty global owned as well as vm). Turns out liberty own a different operator in Belgium called telenet. 

The wholesale EU rate per gb for data is falling each year, €4.50 +vat this year, €3.50, €3, €2.50 +vat the next 3 years. That's what operators pay internally for people's roaming data on other EU networks. 

As others have said, I doubt you'll get a definitive answer, all the operators are watching each other. True, 3 have stuck their neck out, nobody else has that i know about. 

0 Kudos