Flag for a moderator

Terrible speeds with new 5g SIM

I Have 2 Mobile Sims

4g Ultimate Oomph (part of bundle)
5g Unlimited

Both are currently in my new Samsung S21 Ultra
The Ultimate Oomph sim runs between 60-80mbps on 4G coverage
The new 5G Sim runs at 1-5mbps on 4G coverage

I went with Virgin instead of EE on the back of the ultimate oomph SIM having good coverage at home and decent speeds.

I was told this was a temporary issue whilst my PAC code was used to transfer my number from EE but it is now over a week since this was done and no improvement.

Contacted Virgin again who have then issued a replacement SIM card which was supposed to fix the issue but it still will not run any faster than around 1-5Mbps compared to the Ultimate oomph SIM which is running at around 60-80Mbps. I have tried running both card sin the same phone. Both cards solo in the S21 and both cards in my old Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Same results 🙄

Other than cancelling the 5g contract and going elswhere is there anything that can be done?

0 Kudos
JoeKing1VM
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible speeds with new 5g SIM

@Stormspiel hello there I've posted something similar but I'm just on 4G only device's. I had always had maximum signal on Virgin / EE and 2 weeks ago I was switched over onto Virgin / Vodafone  automatically and I get similar speeds to you and if I'm lucky I may receive anything from 20Mbs to over 200+Mbs at my billing address just by chance. I originally had the Virgin purple sim from the time it was introduced to the network and was advised to do a sim swap last week which is a 5G red sim now. And still getting well below speed and call issues.

Its a known issue so call CS (customer services) and ask to be transferred to Technical support.. 

Good luck

Joe 😉

AlexanderMTTH
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do keep us posted. 

I think this is important to know, as I wanted you get a new mobile contact, based on the 5G offer. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos
JoeKing1VM
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Like so many people on here and those that don't even use the forum I'm sick to death with the way Virgin is treating me and other's. 

I've been very patient and even without a proper services I should be really upset to the way I've been treated by Virgin. 

I'm yet to receive call backs from Technical support team not even a process report. 

I feel its time for me to contact the likes of the press and BBC  watchdog. 

Just did a speed test and I was hitting 160+ Mbs download and 34Mbs upload at home where I need all my services. This lasted for about 15mins and it's dropped back down to 1Mbs download sometimes around 4Mbs and I max signal strength..

Just sick to death of lack of support on Virgin Media part 3 weeks and counting.. 

Joe

0 Kudos
Stormspiel
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So after being on the phone for over an hour and explaining the situation to the guy on the phone (who was helpful TBH) we agreed that it's most likely that the 4G SIM is on the EE network and the 5G is on the Vodaphone network. 

I've always avoided Vodaphone like the plague knowing ful well that reception here is terrible from having a work mobile on Vodaphone.

I've requested that the 5G SIM be transferred to the EE network on a 4G only basis as the nearest 5G location is 20 miles away and I very rarely go into city centres where it's present.

This has been passed on to Technical support and I'm told they'll ring back within 3 working days.

If I've not heard from them by next weds then I'll be cancelling the 5G sim and going to EE for their £20 160GB offer.Not unlimited data but I'm unlikely to use 160GB anyway.

I'll keep you posted as to results 👍

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

One issue that you will have is the that Virginmedia do not offer 5g on the EE network the 5g signal from Virginmedia as you have found is available only on the Vodaphone network, this is in line with Virginmedia switching all signals to the Vodaphone network by the end of this year.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Stormspiel
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So, Just to update you all.....

Never received a call back from Technical support and service never improved.

Turns out it wasn't just the internet speeds though. My wife has been texting from another room in our house (whilst putting our daughter to bed) and they've been taking anything up to 30 minutes to come through. 

Basically all of the problems stem from very poor Vodafone coverage in my area and there's nothing they can do to remedy it. Off back to EE with my main number and I suppose I'll have to hope either Vodafone improve coverage before the Ooomph one switches or deal with that when it does 🙄

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stormspiel,

Thanks for coming back to us, I am sorry it turns out to be the signal in your area from the Vodafone mass, I am sure this will be sorted ASAP.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos