cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking a Pay Monthly iPhone to Qatar

StephenAK
Joining in

Hi, I'm new here and new to international travel, so apologies in advance if I sound like a moron!

My wife is going to Qatar to work. She'll be there for a few weeks before me and our family catch up. In my head, I'd planned for her to take her iPhone XR (with Virgin pay monthly deal) and my old unlocked iPhone SE (for her to use with a Qatari SIM when she gets one).

I hoped she could use the iPhone XR on Virgin in the short term - but I don't know what's involved with using it when travelling. I've found a page that explains the costs of calls etc from Qatar (£££!) - but if I'm willing to absorb the cost, will she just be able to turn it on and use it when she's off the plane?

Since the call/data costs are so high (£5 per min/MB!), I wondered if there's there any kind of international bolt-on that I can use to reduce potential costs? I realise she'll be able to access WiFi, but I don't want her to ever be unable to contact me. Do I just have to swallow the potential mega-cost?!

1 REPLY 1

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi StephenAK

Thanks for taking the time to post looking for some support in regards to your wife and using her Virgin Mobile SIM in Qatar, we understand the confusion this can cause and welcome to the community.

Firstly, to be able to use the handset/SIM abroad roaming would need to be active on the number, this can be done via the online account or we can take a look and ensure this is all set up prior to her leaving if you would like. As you have already researched, the call costs associated with using the Virgin Mobile SIM in Qatar are high. You may have already seen these but more details on this can be found here

Cost wise it may be more cost effective to purchase a Pre Paid SIM once in Qatar to use with the handset, you may find that the handset is locked to the Virgin network but you can find out how to unlock this here via Apple support. If roaming is active then when your wife initially lands she should be able to use her current SIM (with the costs) depending on signal/coverage upon landing.

If you need any further support please don't hesitate to let me know.

Rob