cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link M7200 no longer compatible with VM sim?

cjp1
Up to speed

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly couldn’t use the router to access the internet with any devices connected to it, I thought it might be a problem with the sim so spoke to VM who said they would send me a new SIM card which arrived within a couple of days but didn’t solve the problem.

From here I spoke to TP-Link as it appeared it could be a problem with the device so they eventually sent me a replacement which arrived today.

This still didn’t solve the problem so I went back to VM and after a lot of testing, and swapping sims around was told it appears because VM have now switched from Vodafone to O2 unfortunately the sim is no longer compatible with the device! 

So in summary sim worked perfectly in device on Vodafone but now doesn’t after network switch to O2.

Has anyone else had a similar problem develop in the last few weeks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

serenity
Joining in

HI all

After a long time online and on tech support I found that manually changing the ANS simply to goto.virginmobile.uk was all I needed for fix this. Hope it works for you too.

I was given these as the full settings

nternet APN Settings:
Name: Internet
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: None
Password: None
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
APN type: Default
MMS APN Settings:

Name: MMS
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: None
Password: None
Proxy/MMS Proxy: 193.030.166.002
MMSC/MMSC URL: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
Port/MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 38
Authentication Type CHAP
MMS APN Type: mms

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

32 REPLIES 32

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has the SIM been activated. Think it has to be in a phone to do that 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi cjp1 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that your SIM is no longer compatible with your device.  We're limited to the support we can offer here as it's regarding 3rd party devices.  You may be able to get some support here.  Or our fantastic community members may be able to assist you.  I am really sorry.

Regards

Lee_R

The new sim works in other devices no problem, can even connect to it as a personal hotspot, buy won’t work in the mobile router.

Official line from VM is the sim is no longer compatible with the TP-Link device.

Sadly that is correct. The SIM wouldn't work in a Mobile router.

^Martin

Martin,

thanks for the reply, is this a recent thing? I’ve had the sim in the router for 18 months without a problem.

id be interested to know why it stopped working just a couple of weeks ago, up until then no problem!

is this issue likely to be resolved?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried manually resetting the APN settings in your router

Found this

How to change your routers APN settings

For somebody who isn’t particularly tech savvy, changing the APN of a router can seem daunting. However, it’s actually fairly simple:

1. Connect onto your router via Wi-Fi
  2. Log-in to the router
  3. Enter the provided APN within the “APN” field
  4. Save settings and wait for the router to reboot

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I have a look at that later, I’ve got a BT Mobile sim in the router at the moment which works fine but not unlimited data so would rather use my VM sim.

I spent about an hour on the phone with TP-Link trying to resolve the issue and we changed a lot of the settings with no success 

Same happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Got a new SIM today and the TP-Link still has no data. The SIM works on data in a phone. Guess Virgin have made it incompatible. Thanks for that. SIM going in the bin…

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Probably coming into line with O2 who do not permit phone SIM cards in a mains wired routers.