Menu
LucyG123
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Suspicious failed to pre-authorise direct debit text

Hello,

I have received two SMS from VirginMedia, one on Sunday 24th Jan and the other came today. They both say the same thing and both give a URL, but are differently phrased:

• 24th - We have failed to pre-authorize your monthly direct debit. In order to avoid any late fees, please update your details: myvirgin.ecaresupport.com
  • 27th - We have failed to pre-authorise your monthly debit. In order to authorise follow the link: authorise-virginbilling.com

Note how the first one uses the American spelling of authorise and the second uses English haha. Anyway I suspected something was fishy about them so I checked my account and everything is fine, so they are obviously a scam attempt. I find it strange and slightly concerning that I'm getting these texts from the VirginMedia number, as in the same number I receive perfectly legitimate texts about my unused data, allowances etc. In the past I have received texts with similar context but from a random number. I wonder if there is some kind of security breach on their end? 

Has anyone else been getting these texts from Virgin? I would be interested to know. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Suspicious failed to pre-authorise direct debit text

They will show as Virgin Media as they Spoof Virgin's number and the SMS app will display it as Virgin.

For example if I were to spoof a number of a family member and you had text from them before it would come up as if it was them 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LucyG123
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suspicious failed to pre-authorise direct debit text

Oh! I've heard of IP and Mac spoofing but not of this. Thanks for clearing that up!
0 Kudos