cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden loss of phone service

TheTallOne
Joining in

Hi there.

Since returning to the UK from a Christmas trip yesterday I have no phone service at all. No signal. "Emergency calls only." Wifi works fine but my phone suddenly cannot get any mobile signal at all, in any location. I've checked the networking settings and everything is as it should be, the Sim is detected and recognized as a VirginMedia sim, but still nothing.

Should I just order another SIM? What's the troubleshooting process here?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi TheTallOne

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Hope you had a lovely trip 🙂 sorry about the signal issue though. Can you try a manual network search on the handset?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you do a manual network search. Select another network like O2. Wait for it to fail and then select Virgin.

Will give you a hard network reset.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi John

Thank you for responding quickly. I've tried a manual network search and I can see a whole range of networks, but not Virgin Media. Please find a screenshot attached.

Best regards

Screenshot_20211229-191745.jpg

I've now confirmed it's the SIM card that's the issue. Her phone can't find a network with my SIM in it, but mine can with hers (both phones are unlocked).

I guess I need a new SIM. I can't see how to do that online. Is that possible? Or do I have to call?

Hi TheTallOne ,

Thank you for reaching back out, can you confirm what you have tried, did your SIM work in her phone or was it her SIM working in your phone?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

Thanks for getting back. I've tried swapping my SIM with my wife's (both phones unlocked). Hers is a giffgaff SIM. Her SIM worked in both phones, my Virgin Media SIM worked in neither, so something has definitely gone wrong with it.

Thank you for confirming this, I have been able to locate your account with the details we have for you TheTallOne, so I can help you further and arrange a new SIM card if required, I will send you an invitation into a private chat, once received click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

Many thanks Paul_DN for your assistance. I've received the replacement SIM and it's working properly. 

Glad to hear TheTallOne,

Thanks for letting us know 🙂

Alex_Rm