cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stourbridge 5g rubbish

Ssray
On our wavelength

Currently I'm getting just about 0.5 gig in 4g and 5g around Stourbridge, if I head up towards Ridgewood hi school I'm lucky to be able to use 4g , I have to switch to it to use it though, it won't even register on the broadband speed check.

I had this same problem in Wolverhampton, it was solved eventually,it seems virgin were using Vodafone masts and they weren't set up correctly.

Any idea if anything can be checked here?

I get over 200gig at home using the same speed check 

Ta Ray 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem with None Stand Alone 5G is that it requires 4G to work (bit of a simplification but true)

On Android the phone can display 5G but be running on the 4G element. It's easy to tell. If 5G is displayed in a clear box you are on the 4G element. 5G itself appears in a solid box 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Mobile is now a rebadging of O2 - you can check their status using https://status.o2.co.uk/ 

Home broadband is completely different technology to O2's mobile network

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is for Stourbridge 

Screenshot_20230324_185727_My Network.jpg

 And according to the map there is weak 5G round the area of the Golf Club and none towards the town centre

Screenshot_20230324_185919_My Network.jpg

Ssray
On our wavelength

Thanks, I've got a phone for work that's ee, I keep forgetting to take it out and test side by side

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem with None Stand Alone 5G is that it requires 4G to work (bit of a simplification but true)

On Android the phone can display 5G but be running on the 4G element. It's easy to tell. If 5G is displayed in a clear box you are on the 4G element. 5G itself appears in a solid box 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There will always be localised differences, but on a national basis, O2 is the worst performing network for data - EE the best.

EE have a very strong underlying 4G network, 5G just adds to it.