Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Started new Pay Monthly contract but coverage is terrible

My elderly mum needed a phone and was paying through the nose for calls on vodaphone. As i'm already with Virgin, i ordered her a sim on my account a couple of weeks ago on an affordable £5 per month deal.

Trouble is, the coverage where my mum lives is terrible. Calls will drop, if you're lucky enough to get through in the first place, and rarely has enough signal to call out. Something pretty critical for an old person living alone.

So, i want to cancel the sim contract, but i'm concerned Virgin will charge an early leaving fee, something i don't feel is appropriate, seeing as they can't provide the service as promised.

I can do the whole PAC code thing, but how can i question and prevent the early leaving fee from being taken from my account?

Any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Started new Pay Monthly contract but coverage is terrible

Are you still within the first 14 days?  They have a cooling off period during this time 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you can only cancel a new contract if in the first 14 days.
If outside that then you'll have an early disconnection fee.

The 14 days are just this reason.

Its hard to use the argument "seeing as they can't provide the service as promised" as its a mobile device unless they checked the coverage for you and said it would work in that house you can't really use that argument.

Its not like a fixed line that can;t be used anywhere

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the helpful replies, guys.

Unfortunately it is just outside of the 14 days. Part of the reason it's taken so long to realise the coverage isn't good enough is because it wasn't always so bad, partly because of covid19 (trying to the keep visits to her down so every interraction takes longer than usual), and also because it was so much hassle to change from vodaphone to virgin that we stuck with it in the hope that the coverage might not always be as bad, or might even improve. But if anything, it just gets worse.

Yes, i understand that they can't be specific when it comes to coverage quality for a particular area or house, but at the same time if the product isn't doing what it's supposed to do, why should i contine to pay a monthly fee for a service that doesn't work, and then be charged for extra to cancel it?

I've got broadband, two phones with virgin, and my mum has virgin broadband. So if they decide to charge me a fee, then i might consider just swapping everything over to EE or plusnet. So they might gain a few quid here, but they'll lose my 10 and my mum's 6 year old broadband accounts, along with my current mobile account too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Swapping to Plusnet is OK but your mother will need to be on something not EE based.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah, why's that, enlli? Do EE use the same masts/network as virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Other way round.
Virgin use the EE network

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is there a list or something, of who uses whose network, so i can avoid making the same mistake?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

all smaller MVO will use VOdaphone, O2 or EE pretty much. YOu can search online to see the network they use. not sure if there is a list.

Giffgaff i think uses O2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin do not have any masts they piggyback on EE signal, although they do not have access to EEs 800Mhz 4G band

Virgin were moving to use Vodafone at the end of next year, but that is in doubt now with the proposed merger with O2

0 Kudos