Menu
vmrrwm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sony Ericsson Cybershot (Model C902) and NEW SIM problems

Like many I have recently recieved a new SIM to replace the existing SIM I've been using since about 2006.

Swapping the SIM today, the phone turns on and appears to work; but after about 30-45 seconds appears to lose the network connection (screen goes blank, any phone call is disconnected (or anything you were doing is lost) and after about 5-10 seconds the screen comes back with the "searching for network" message).

It doesn't appear to matter what I am doing - first occurring when I was resetting the time/ date. On calling 789 it usually gets to about halfway through "your balance is ..." before cutting off just as it gets to what the options are.

Swapping back to the old SIM card, and everything works as it should do.

The new SIM feels thinner than the old sim (and a google says that new SIMS may be a fraction of a mm thinner) so have tried using a little paper to increase the thickness of the new SIM in case it is a case of losing contact or slipping or something similar. But this makes no difference.

Unlike other people with problems, the SIM is recognised, I am not asked for any sort of unlocking code, and I can dial out (although, as I said, after about 30 seconds the call is dropped, the phone goes black and the network is lost). 

With the old SIM I can trigger the phone status - which shows me the phone number.
On the new SIM, I don't ever seem to get the number shown on the status (before it loses the network connection).

Is this a problem with the SIM, the phone (is the C902 somehow incompatible with the new SIM), the network or something else. As a feature phone with buttons, and being small enough to actually fit inside a pocket, it has worked well - and were it not for this problem now, I'd expect it to keep on working well for a good number of years.

Any advice, work arounds, solutions appreciated. I'd prefer not to go down the "new phone/ new network" solution as I've had this number for a while now and I don't fancy going through changing it everywhere; and I like the phone I am using... 

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sony Ericsson Cybershot (Model C902) and NEW SIM problems

The phone runs on Symbian Firmware. 

It now looks certain going by many posts on here  that such phones will not work correctly with the new SIM cards

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@vmrrwm 

If the old SIM is still working it sounds like you haven't sent the text message required to swap the service from the old SIM to the new one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

vmrrwm
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First a thank you for the replies.

A follow-up note now that at some point during the day the old SIM has gone inactive (With the display saying  "Inactive SIM" rather than "Virgin").

Looking through the text messages, I see an unread one received from earlier today which says, "Woohoo! Your new SIM is now up and running. Your old SIM won't work anymore." (I'm assuming it's from earlier today as it's unread, but dated 01-01-2000; so must have arrived before I managed to reset the date. I must have missed this when the phone was behaving as described in my original message).

Looking at @enlli's message; if there are problems with the new SIM and symbian phones, why are there problems? It just raises questions (that I don't expect you to have the answers to).  I hope that Virgin have new symbian-friendly SIMs the can send out because, to be honest, I'd rather keep using the phone I have rather that replacing it. And there can't be anything that complicated that the SIM is doing? 

In the short term though, it sounds like the solution is "different phone, different network." I have a couple of my previous phones I can try the SIM in (assuming they power up), but as they're both Sony Ericsson phones (W810/Cedar j108i) I expect they'll face the same issues... although the Cedar I replaced because after a number of years of use 6-8, the buttons started breaking off) 

Thank you again. Assuming those phones power up and turn on I'll update this with a note as to whether or not they exhibited the same or similar issues.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Without going into too much technical detail it is safe to say the new Virgin SIM cards are quite different to anything else.

They allow Virgin to run their own core network whilst relying on another network for signal. Makes it easy next year when they change signal suppliers.

Don't think only old phones suffer they throw up problems on modern iPhone too, thankfully they can be overcome.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

vmrrwm
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again; I thought that was how Virgin mobile always worked, having been with them since they used T-Mobile for the signal/ Network.

Would the "old SIM" have been representing the same network/ signal (even if it rebranded as Virgin on the screen) and not having this 'potential network/ signal split' ? 

If that is the case, then what is happening for me makes sense. It suggests that when the phone connects to the network and is usable for about 30 or so seconds it must be checking two aspects of the signal/ network and some part of that must not be responding with a "yes, I'm here, you're using it." so it triggers the network search abruptly disrupting anything you were previously doing (and 30-45 seconds suggests a "no good response" time out).  And I guess previously, the simpler network/ signal system meant this wouldn't be an issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
vmrrwm
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just a note: Tested the Sony Ericsson Cedar j108i. Got the "incorrect SIM card" message. Googling and finding:

1 - Switch ON your phone without SIM Card,
2 - Press 1 time the left arrow,
3 - Press 2 times the button * ,
4 - Press 1 time the left arrow,
5 - The message 'Personalize with MNC2' will appear,

Gave me two options: Network or SP. The code on the letter and the "pop it out" card do not appear to work.

Unfortunately the w810 fails to turn on (looks like the battery has expanded - so expect this is terminal)

0 Kudos