cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow/unusable data over last week

aaron_r_j
Tuning in

I thought it was just a blip but investigating these forums and then checking with LTE discovery tool, I can see I've been switched to O2 without being informed (I was told this would not happen from a Virginia mobile employee). As data sometimes fails in significant areas around my local area, can I leave contract early?

Thanks, Aaron

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media & O2 are in the process of merging their UK business, this naturally extends to VM's mobile offering. Anyone who told you that your mobiles could stay on one of the previous "arrangements" with VF or EE has misadvised you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @aaron_r_j

Welcome to the community 

Sorry to hear that you have been misadvised and told that you would not be switched to the O2 network. 

We are in the process of moving all of our mobile customer over to the O2 network. You can check out if there are any coverage issues or concerns in your area here if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks for the link. I found the O2 coverage map which shows "Good Indoors and Outdoors. Good for mobile broadband". However the reality is different.

Calls work. However, while data works okay at the back of my house (response time/speed okay), outside on the street, no data along the majority of the street together with the neighbouring street. It just times out or if I can find a spot that works, about 0.1Mb/s. Having to seriously consider what is best to do.  

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check with O2 direct to see if there are issues in your area

https://status.o2.co.uk/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Morning aaron_r_j

Thanks for coming back to the thread. 

Is this happening in all areas or just one?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS,

There does appear to be a mast issue in my area (thanks enlli!) so hopefully when that is fixed, things will improve near my home. Around my city, speed is slower than before and some drops in data which is noticable (and why I hunted the forums and then discovered the O2 switch) but I guess will just have to live with this for now while still under contract as its just the nature of the new network. 

Thanks, Aaron

Hi @aaron_r_j thanks a lot for your reply.

I appreciate this is frustrating, but thanks for your patience in the meantime - hopefully the mast issue is sorted ASAP and your services restore to normal.

Many thanks

Tom_W

An update, mast was fixed about 6 days later. Service usable for two days, now it takes around 2 minutes to load a single web page over the last couple of days I my local area. Along main road, have full signal bar/4G but super slow internet as above. Status check now says 

"

Our network can get busy in this area.

This means your data could be slower than normal. We're sorry about that. Our team is aware and working to make it better. Our top tips for staying connected would be to find local Wifi hotspots and download whatever content you need whilst connected to Wifi, so you can still enjoy it on the move. ".

This suggests it will never really improve. 

Hi @aaron_r_j

Thank you for keeping us updated. We are always looking to improve and can assure you that we are always working to better the services we provide. Whilst there might not be an immediate fix to the issue at this time, we can provide other available options to improve your overall coverage in the areas you're experiencing the issues.

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley