Menu
KSenos
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow mobile data speed

Spoiler
Hi

I am using a VM SIM in a D-Link DWR-921 router which has been working well for many months.

Recently I experienced a problem loading certain sites (pubs) and phoned 789 and they told me it was an issue with my Web-Safe settings and they would change it. I was advised to wait 24 hours and try again.

Since then I am experiencing very low data download speeds (2.8 Mbit/s), below is a screenshot from VM speed test page.

Can anyone tell me what speeds I should expect, perhaps a VM employee would know? 

I have tried WebChat but the mention of using a SIM in a router throws them 'off script' and resulted in them asking me to put the SIM in a phone to download the network settings.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Virgin Screenshot from 2020-10-11 08-40-36.png

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow mobile data speed

Good afternoon, KSenos

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delayed reply.

Mobile SIM's are not meant to be used in a router so we're not able to offer assistance with the speeds. 

Can you test it in a mobile phone to see what speed you're getting?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
KSenos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thanks for your reply, but my understanding is that Virgin now only do one kind of SIM and I made it clear it was for a router when I took out the contract.

If there is a data only sim which is intended for MiFi devices, tablets or routers I would be interested if you could provide a link to it so I can change my contract as I have no use for the unlimited minutes on my current SIM.

Best regards

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the delayed reply

The SIM you are on would be for a mobile phone only though so we'd be unable to assist you with the router speeds; This being because it's not meant to be in a router

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos