Menu
stewartrea
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sims for data only purposes

Hi 

When I took my virgin subscription, I was persuaded to add a free sim with so many minutes, etc., and 5GB of rollover data, now I discussed with the salesman that I would be using it as a data-only service and would install this in my car, well I have tried and tried to get this to work, the sim works fine in a phone, the car works fine with an alternative sim (3 networks), now virgin are saying they don't support this function. 

Is this correct?? 

Surely its no different than sticking into an iPad or a home alarm system is virgin technology not advanced enough to support what I would have thought was standard fare

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sims for data only purposes

I'm sure I have read posts where people have got Virgin SIM cards to work, but if memory serves me correctly they had to manually enter the APN settings

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @stewartrea

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome on board! 

I'm so sorry to see this has happened, can I just clarify, do you have a data only SIM?

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
stewartrea
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply

I have just a sim (free as part of my Virgin package) that can be used by phone, ( I have sent text and used data on a phone), I have supposedly have free minutes, so the answer must be NO cant they just change that status ??

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid that data only SIMs and regular SIMs are registered separately on accounts and do work differently to each other, so a regular SIM which includes calling, SMS and data functionality would not be compatible in a device such as an iPad or Apple Watch for example. 

The SIM type is set on each contract and so cannot be easily changed or swapped over. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Beth

0 Kudos
stewartrea
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

Again I appreciate your reply, so as I understand I just need to ask the to change this from a normal account to a data-only, I don't want to sound rude but surely this is just admin and database transfer nonsense that surely should be well within the capabilities of a support team ??
Am I too naive (this sounds so bolshy but it really is frustrating on this end )
This has been going on for months now with Virgin saying they don't support this request

best regards
Stewart
0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We understand your frustration with this matter stewartrea,

Unfortunately as Beth has already advised this is not something we can support or change. We appreciate the inconvenience of this however there is nothing we can do to get this changed. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

0 Kudos