Menu
topgun007
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sim swap

Got my sim swap letter with  unlock codes then an sms reminding me to swap my sim sometime after that . Duly inserted my sim to me told sim card not valid. After hours on the phone finally got through to someone 2 days ago. Explained the problem and was told i may need to get a new phone as older phones  dont always work. Advised by the lady however to give her my imei code and she would try and help . Was told to wait 24 hours and then try my sim again.  Was advised then that if after 24 hours it still did not work that  I would be sent a keyboard phone. I explained that i did not want a keyboard phone.That mine was a touch screen nokia  and was perfectly serviceable  until i tried the new sim and would expect to have one of at least the same standard or similar as the nokia.  She agreed  to send a touch screen phone if my problem was not fixed after 24 hours. I duly waited and reinserted the sim. Met with a screen saying phone restarting. Phone restarts and screen says sim not valid. Phoned again yesterday and after another considerable wait  spoke to someone who advised lines close at 6pm for customer services and only lost or stolen phones could be reported. Shame the website says lines open until 8.00 pm but i understand because of the virus  that times may be different to whats advertised, Tried to access my account online  last night however  silly me forgot the password . Therein lies the dilemma .I cant reset the password as they will send a code via sms to my mobile which now does not work . Phoned customers services  today and again after a lengthy wait i got through .Explained my situation again today to be advised they would be sending me an energizer keypad phone . I again explained i did not want a basic keyboard phone but a replacement touch screen phone as promised in my previous call . A cheap  £15.00 phone  with bad reviews is hardly a  suitable replacement .She advised  she cant send a touch pad phone. Well not what I was told 2 days ago.  Perhaps replace cant send a touch pad phone with unwilling  to despite being told to the contrary.Told the adviser of my dissatisfaction but told her to send the phone anyway while i attempt to resolve the matter . Have a friend who has just passed away in Asia and an elderly  mother in the uk  I need to have a working phone to get text messages  or get hold of me  via mobile in emergency. So I now have to wait 5-7 days for a  working phone  I dont want in order  to to get urgent sms messages. Family and friends use virgin but doubt for much longer .Been a customer for over 20 years and bought many phones online and in-store , So much for loyalty . i have yet to help my elderly mother with her sim but I guess  I will  wait and see how things transpire but another provider is looking more  likely .   Virgin quotes "At Virgin Media, our customers come first. We aim to give you the best
customer service possible."  Sadly a promise that doesnt apply to me  after over 20 years 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sim swap

Have you used the correct procedure for entering the unlock code for your make and model of phone?

Virgin are putting these codes out but in most cases you have to do more than just type them in. That information is missing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Kaptain
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have just spent most of the day progressing a similar problem in live chat, as well as chatting with someone from complaints. My current understanding is that despite what is said in the new sim covering letter, if you have a phone with buttons, then Virgin will not obtain a Network unlock code for you. The current policy would be to send out a cheap replacement phone if you make enough fuss. As I have found, the codes which VM suggest might work will simply lock the phone and render it useless.

If you want to keep your old phone, then your only option would appear to take it to a phone shop, or online, and purchase an unlock code. You might think it strange that phone shops have this ability, but VM does not.

You might want to get an unlock price first, then raise a complaint with VM and ask them to pay the bill. If they refuse then I am sure the Ombudsman will view any complaint to them quite favourably, in the light of Ofcom's view on being able to unlock a phone and switch networks. In the meantime, don't forget to accept a free Energiser phone if offered, on the basis that is required until you get your own phone unlocked.

0 Kudos
topgun007
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes tried codes .Never had any of my previous phones locked  or password protected because they were emergency phones  . inserted sims and all good to go  Now just  woeful customer service and attitude  . .A problem Virgin have created and i fully accept they are  maybe trying to improve service coverage etc but surely not at my expense. I have other important things to attend to including shopping etc  for vulnerable  relatives with this pandemic and can do with out spending hours solving a problem I did not create . A  £15.00 pound phone is their solution and a 5-8 7 day wait with no guarantee of it working . Sorry to sound so ungrateful but  it seems I am not the only one that feels that way 

0 Kudos
topgun007
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI thanks for that .I dont have a phone with keypad  numbers. It is a touch screen phone and would expect to get a touchscreen phone as a replacement like for like pr similar as agreed on my first call to virgin, Not a cheap energiser that by all reports and reviews are  deemed pretty much useless .I dont have a phone shop near me and am currently busy with shopping etc for vulnerable elderly relatives due to covid 19. Seems shocking I have to  visit a shop to pay for somebody to  enable a virgin mobile bought phone to work with a virgin mobile sim. Over 20 years with virgin and several phones  bought , Not exactly the best customer  service . . 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey topgun007

Please could you have a look at the thread below, this will be able to provide help for the issues that you're currently having. Please could you give this a try and let me know if it helps resolve your issue at all.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/New-SIM-not-valid/td-p/4353643

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
topgun007
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven .Removed my new sim tried to enter code from letter but got invalid code . Had a 12 digit code on my new sim card so tried that Inserted the new sim and now i dont get a message saying invalid sim but a message saying emergency calls only
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please could you put your old sim card back into your phone and see if that has sim has now been deactivated. We can also confirm from this if there is an issue with your new sim card that would need a replacement sim.

Thanks

Steven

0 Kudos
topgun007
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven New sim was showing invalid sim again after i restarted my phone .. I put the old sim in again now as requested and phone says sim card registration failed .
Thanks Jim
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for trying that for me Jim, I have looked at your account and all our systems are saying that this should be working.

I will need to send out a new sim card to you to resolve this issue, I will send over a private message in a moment, so that we can clear account security and get the new sim card sent out to you.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos