Menu
PeterH2
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sim swap overseas-help!

Hi,

I have been a Virgin Mobile PAYG user since 2000- not a very frequent mobile user so it has worked quite well. I have been working abroad outside the EU since 2017 on a series of one year contracts. I have not been back to the UK since August 2019 . At the moment my return date to the UK is uncertain because of Covid restrictions. My current Virgin handset is an Alcatel Pixi purchased in a Virgin Mobile store in the UK in March/April 2017 which contains what was then a brand new SIM. I have been able to use it abroad to send and recieve calls and texts without any problems  as well as top it up using my current bank details. It is very important to me as it is my only UK mobile number and I need it to be able to reply to OTPs from my bank . 

A week ago I received a text from Virgin Media telling me that they wanted to send me out a new SIM and that they needed confirmation of my postcode in the UK to be able to do that. I wasn't expecting to receive a new SIM and it was only when I had a look on the internet that I became aware of the imminent SIM swap which seems to be a compulsory exercise.  I haven't replied to this text yet as the address that Virgin will  have on their system is my old UK address which is now no longer valid. I tried contacting Virgin Media by phone to update my details but only got automated replies which directed me to try to set up an online account, something which I have never done. I haven't been able to do this because the process would not generate any security questions for me to answer. 

After that, I eventually found this forum and discovered that any new SIM would have to be activated in the UK in any case. I also found a thread labelled "Sim Swap overseas" where it sounded very much as though one of the Virgin Mobile team called Emma had been able to solve a similar problem by sending a private message to another forum member enabling them to update their address details to the address of a family member  and activate the new SIM before sending it out. This sounds like it could be a good solution for me as it would be feasible for my relative to send the new SIM to a work colleague of mine who is hoping soon to be able to return to my current overseas location. 

I apologise for the lengthy message but if there is a member of the Virgin mobile team who has read it and who is able to help, I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you for your help,

Peter H. 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sim swap overseas-help!

Hi Peter, thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'll be happy to assist you today with this.

I'll PM you now

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

PeterH2
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, 

Thanks for the PMs and the very prompt and helpful response so far. I'll let you know how it goes and get back to you if there are any issues. 

Best wishes,

Peter H

0 Kudos
PeterH2
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Just to say that the SIM arrived with my relative on Saturday and it all seemm to be working OK. Thanks very much for your prompt and efficient help and all the best,

Peter

0 Kudos