Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sim locked by operator - No Service

Hi there, I see from the posts in this forum, that i'm not alone with this problem. Could it be a bad software/glitch on this new updated Sim roll-out?

My mobile is a perfectly good & functioning Unlocked Sony Xperia Z3, purchased 2nd user from ebay 2 yrs ago, & have been using a virgin sim-only since, with no problems.

Anyway. Last Monday (June 1st) was my swap date for my new sim. I stayed with the old sim until that one had expired/been deactivated later on that Monday. When i noticed i had no service, mid afternoon, i put in the new sim to be greeted with "Sim locked by operator -No Service" scrolling at th top of the screen. And after swiping the home screen.. "Sim Network unlock pin"  required. I entered in the 4 digit code, (from the sim card carrier) with the result being " unlock unsuccessful" further tries with the same code & the 8 digit code were all unsuccessful.  So i left it till the next day, Tuesday.

Still no results. Having got through to customer support, i was informed that my mobile was now locked! And i needed to phone EE with my IMEI number to have it unlocked! This seemed strange as per the message on my phone clearly telling me "Sim locked by Operator!" And actually this first customer service lady was very curt & not very pleasant or helpful, telling me i would have to pay EE about £8 to have my mobile unlocked!  I left it, & phoned Virgin again. (as when i i phoned EE, the only options were for new & existing EE customers). This time the customer service lady was very nice & helpful. She had a new Sim sent out to me , but still confirmed i would have to contact EE to have my mobile unlocked. (She went through a number of tries with different unlock codes to no avail). Having gotten through to EE, they confirmed, that my mobile, indeed was "Network locked". (not mobile locked). Unfortunately, the code they are sending me by email will take 72hrs - 10 days!  So i have got hold of my works mobile, which is a new Samsung A20e dual sim. And tried this new Virgin Sim in this device... unfortunately it says that this sim is not "Provisioned!" & even with just this sim in, there no unlock gui for it to be activated!?

So here i am explaining this to you a week later without my personal mobile, having to avail, & possibly 10 days, to probably find out that the sim still requires activation!? That will be 2 weeks without service & i'll still be charged for that on my monthly charge.*

Like a lot of others here, i am quickly losing faith in this service (or lack of service). Giff Gaff is looking rather good right now, so please give me a good reason & incentive to stay!  I also have 30GB roll over of unused data BTW.

thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sim locked by operator - No Service

On those phones SIM Locked By Operator means the phone has been locked to work only on SIM cards of the network which sold it. In the case of EE this would include some of the Virtual operators using rebadged EE SIM cards.

The problem is entering the wrong codes to many times can lock the phone for good 

It is obvious the phone you were sold was not unlocked, and the fact EE are getting a code proves the point.

You will still need it unlocking if you move to GiffGaff as they are O2. Plusnet and Asda use EE

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Aha, ok thanks, so ill just have to wait for the unlock code from EE. But otherwise you are saying that when i purchased the phone, it was actually locked, & that i was just lucky it was on the EE network & so didn't ask for an unlocking code when i started using it with the virgin sim 2 yrs ago? But also, why is it  my present sim not activated when i tried it in another phone?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think the SIM confused the matter.

I assume this was a replacement for an old red SIM. Did you follow the instructions to activate it? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes, this is a replacement updated network sim (i assume), it replaces a white sim.   i found my swap date , which was the 1st June, & waited that day until the previous sim lost service, then swapped it for the new sim (with mobi turned off) turned on again & saw that the message scrolling at the top, " sim locked by operator - no service" then as i swipe to open the home screen, i .was presented with the 'Sim network unlock pin ' where i assumed it was asking for the code you get with the new sim card! ( the four digit No.).  Ok so its seems that this Sim network unlock pin" isn't the "activation for the sim card itself!?... that is really not very clear!  Apart from that i followed what instructions there was exactly. And thus, haven't got to the part of activation. 

Also no activation was presented to me when i tried the sim in a newer phone! (duel sim Samsung A20e) Just got the message "Sim not Provisioned" (although the A20e is a works phone on Vodaphone, if that is of consequence?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still no email from EE with unlock code. I m thinking of getting a new phone from virgin now. But here's the question.:

Can i carry my accrued 30Gb of unused data to the new 1gb pm tarrif on the new phones plan? (if i go ahead & purchase it?)

Also can i request an unlock code or activation code for my present sim, for when & if EE give me an unlock code?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

GDman, thanks for posting.

If you receive a new SIM for the same number, your SIM that was sent to you originally will be deactivated as it's replaced by your new one.  Any allowances would depend on the deal you agree with our customer relations team sorry.  Is it a SIM Only deal you currently have?  Or is it prepaid?  Is sounds like SIMO to me.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thx for the reply.

Yes its a Sim only deal at present.

0 Kudos