cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card issue - wrong sized card

Ffrreedd
Joining in

Actually, my query has less to do with Networking and WiFi, and rather more to do with an issue regarding my mobile phone. It's just that the above menu options don't include "mobile phone" for some reason. In any case last week I ordered a sim card for my new smartphone (an iPhone SE 2022) and as a result asked for a "nano" sim card. Unfortunately something must have got lost in translation, because I received the wrong sized card, one described as "Standard". This obviously won't fit into the iPhone. Please advise.

Regards,

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Ffrreedd,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

The SIM you should have received will be one that will break down into the smaller sizes, you should be able to get the nano SIM from the middle.

You can find some useful information on our website here.

Let me know if you need anything more. Joe

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Ffrreedd,

Welcome back to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

The SIM you should have received will be one that will break down into the smaller sizes, you should be able to get the nano SIM from the middle.

You can find some useful information on our website here.

Let me know if you need anything more. Joe

Ffrreedd
Joining in

Oh, yes, many thanks for that. I've done what you've suggested and it looks like the card will now fit into the slot.

There is one other issue, though: the phone seems to know what my VM router password is - which is more than I do - and furthermore considers it weak and vulnerable to attack. Where do I go to change the password? Thanks in advance.

PS. I've just been going through my file of passwords and found one for Virgin Superhub. Is "superhub" another VM term for router? 

Hi Ffrreedd,

This will likely be because your WiFi password is saved within your Apple ID keychain, and so if you've signed into your existing Apple ID on your new handset, all your previously saved details will carry over. However if you'd still like to change your Hub's WiFi password, you can do this via the Hub settings by typing in 192.168.0.1 in your browser URL bar. You can sign in using the 'settings password' found on the sticker on your Hub.

In answer to your second question, yes - we brand our own routers as Super Hubs.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Beth

Ffrreedd
Joining in

Hi Beth

Unfortunately the Hub's settings on my browser URL bar have rejected the existing "Wifi network" password and the "Wifi password" printed on my router's sticker. This means I'm stuck. 

PS. I have never owned a smartphone before, let alone an iPhone. Neither am I familar with using a smartphone, so you well may imagine how confusing this is for me right now. 

Hi Ffrredd, 

Thanks for getting back to us. I completely understand, we'll do our best to help you. It's possible that you may be using the wrong password. It might be listed as 'admin' password on the sticker - I believe we changed the name of it slightly on more recent Hub models.

If you have also tried that, ensured it's correct and it's still not working, I'd recommend factory resetting the Hub. To do this, you'll just need to push a pin into the pinhole at the back of the Hub for at least 30 seconds. 

Let us know how you get on from there.

Beth

Just to add that the issue is not really about changing any passwords as such: rather it's a case of figuring out why my smartphone doesn't recognise the existing password(s) associated with my VM router/superhub. All I can be sure about in my current state of unknowingness is that the phone doesn't recognise either of the two passwords printed on my hub's sticker, or the one listed in my personal MS Word Passwords File.

Hi Ffrreedd,

If you're just having issues with that specific device connecting to your Hub, it's possible that it's a device issue.

However I would recommend performing a factory reset on your Hub and trying to enter in the WiFi again. Just to clarify, the settings/admin password is to sign into your Hub settings, and the wireless/WiFi key is to be able to connect to your Hub's WiFi.

The factory reset will ensure that your Hub's WiFi password is set to the default one as shown on the sticker.

Beth

Ffrreedd
Joining in

Hi Beth

Yes, I have now reset the router, using the method you outlined. Unfortunately, while I can now access my emails using the iphone, it still cannot make or accept any telephone calls. I have done everything to the phone's settings via help from an Apple forum member, but the message displayed on the phone's screen still reads "No Service". It's also been suggested to me that I should contact "my carrier" which I interpret to mean Virgin Media. Regards. . .