Menu
DancingBagel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sim appears to have been disabled

Hallo. Today my sim seems to be emergency calls only mode. I've tried reinserting it a few times, and used an alternative sim card to see if the phone was bonked. 

This is likely because I was sent a new sim to prepare for 5g. However I'm in the Netherlands still and unable to retrieve it. 

I rang last week about this and was told they'd hold off de-activating my sim. I asked if a new sim could be sent to my current address but I was told that's not possible. 

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sim appears to have been disabled

Asked someone to get in touch. Keep an eye out here

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lisa_CC
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey there DancingBagel, sorry to hear about your SIM being disabled.

Can I ask whether you have recently had a new SIM replacement or are you still using an old SIM? We're currently sending all our customers replacement SIMs due to a network upgrade which may render the old one inactive. I appreciate you're currently away but we need to know which SIM you have in your phone.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
DancingBagel
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply.

I'm using the old sim that I've had for a while now. The new one was sent a few months back and I haven't been able (or not particularly willing to) travel back home because of the quarantine to pick it up. 

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks DancingBagel. 

Sadly we can't send a SIM to a non UK address and the new SIM does need to be activated in the UK. 

As your current SIM has already stopped working, is it possible if I send you a new SIM already activated and you could get it forwarded to yourself in the Netherlands? 

I can fully appreciate any upset caused with this but the new SIM cards are needed. 

Thanks.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
DancingBagel
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,

Thanks for checking this out. That is a shame but it's not the end of the world. 

If you could send a new sim that would be handy. I'll see if my family can drop by and forward it on to me.

Thanks again!

Dancing Bagel

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No worries. 

I'll pop you a message now to grab some details and we'll take it from there 🙂

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

All sorted DancingBagel, 

Thanks for letting us know and allowing us to help, again really sorry we can't send the new SIM direct to the Netherlands but I'm sure it will be with you soon. 

Any problems do let us know 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
DancingBagel
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hallo again,

I've asked my family to check a few times but there is still no sim in sight. Is it possible to get this resent? I'll ask again if it's possible to send it overseas too 😄 

Christian

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello
I am afraid that VM cannot send out a SIM when you are not in the UK, even if they could I am afraid that as all SIMs are not activated when sent out, they will only activate when connected to their home UK network, the only way around this is for VM to send the SIM to a family member or friend and for them to place in a phone to activate it and then for them to forward the activated SIM to you.
Can you let the forum know if this can be done and then a member of the VM forum team can arrange the replacement to be sent to a UK address.
Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks