cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Transfer

mentalhibbyjohn
Joining in

Having grown extremely frustrated with my Huawei pro 40 (lack of apps, play store etc and strange sounds and ghost camera clicks! ) I decided to buy a new mobile to tide me over until my contract renewal in 2023.

I was told it wouldn't be a problem switching my sim over to a new mobile and continue with my Virgin contract. 

Unfortunately this wasn't true and my service was blocked on the new phone. The sim was recognised as Virgins but the service was blocked. So with frustration growing I put the sim back in my Huawei and found its still blocked. 

Anyone, help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mentalhibbyjohn, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear of the situation you are in - but I am not sure how swapping the SIM card over to a new phone would block it, unless you've set up a SIM pin. If the new handset you've bought isn't open to all networks, then you wouldn't be able to use it in that handset. Where did you get the new handset from? 

When you've put the SIM back in your phone - is it possible you could expand on what you're referring to when you say it's blocked?

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mentalhibbyjohn, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear of the situation you are in - but I am not sure how swapping the SIM card over to a new phone would block it, unless you've set up a SIM pin. If the new handset you've bought isn't open to all networks, then you wouldn't be able to use it in that handset. Where did you get the new handset from? 

When you've put the SIM back in your phone - is it possible you could expand on what you're referring to when you say it's blocked?

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Thank you for your reply Ryan. I'm grateful. 

Last night when I put my Virgin pay monthly sim into the new Samsung A20 no telephone or virgin icon appeared at the top of the screen. I went to settings and although sim 1 was confirmed as virgin it read "sim blocked".

I bought the phone brand new from ao mobile phones direct.

So unable to set up calls on the Samsung I took the sim out and returned it to the Huawei. Only it wouldn't connect to Virgin. 

I asked my wife to call me and she said there was a beep then it rang. It was then I noticed it was a WiFi call rather than through Virgin. 

Got up this morning and still no connection so headed off to work. However as I sat down at lunchtime I noticed I was connected via volte then suddenly virgin popped up again, as you can see from the screenshot.

As I said I bought the relatively cheap samsung to use until my present contract ends then I can replace it with a new, top of the range Samsung. I will never accept a Huewei phone again. Its been nothing but trouble including a data breach which resulted in one of my clothing accounts being hacked.

Thought it would be a simple transfer of sim but obviously not.

Thanks Ryan. Regards John Scott

Screenshot_20220617_122659.jpg

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem at all - glad I can offer help with this one. 

It's strange that it did that and then just randomly worked again. Just to make sure - the phone in which you've purchased is it 100% open to any network? 

Cheers,

Ryan. 

Hi Ryan. 

Now there's a question regards the phone. I was sent a 3 mobile sim which I didn't ask for. You think it may be locked on 3?

John

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am not a betting man but if I was - I would lump on that being the case. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hopefully they'll reply to my email asking if it's locked to 3.

Cheers Ryan. Slainte Mhath 👍

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Do you have a link to the phone? I would be able to have a little look on there see if I can find anything. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi Ryan, hope this helps. 

John

https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/handset/samsung/galaxy-a22-5g/sim-free

These are emails. Original email order no sim. Despatch email includes sim.

• Screenshot_20220618_065426_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220618_124802_com.android.chrome.jpg