cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal problems

mike38159
Joining in

I'm 1 month into a new 5G contract with VM, the signal at home is appalling.

Constantly flicking between 1 and 0 bars on signal strength, every call drops out.

Tried manual network change to no avail.

Any ideas please as to what I can do, moving home is a bit extreme!!

My old 4G SIM worked fine, I can't put up with this for another 2 years.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mike38159

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Really sorry to hear of the signal issues. Thanks for trying and letting us know tried the manual network search 🙂

Have you tried your SIM in another handset? Does this also happen only at home? 

Please try this link - virg.in/phonefix - as it may help

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've been thru all the bits on the phone fix link, it shows the phone is ok.

I've not got another phone to check the SIM.

This only happens at home, but that's when I use it most!! - I had a Vodafone signal booster years ago that cured the problem, was hoping that VM had a similar thing?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mike38159 wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've been thru all the bits on the phone fix link, it shows the phone is ok.

I've not got another phone to check the SIM.

This only happens at home, but that's when I use it most!! - I had a Vodafone signal booster years ago that cured the problem, was hoping that VM had a similar thing?

Signal Boosters have been discontinued by all the networks as they are replaced by WiFi Calling.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, I have wifi calling turned on but its still cutting out!!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mike38159 wrote:
Thanks, I have wifi calling turned on but its still cutting out!!

It shouldn't. Is the WiFi calling symbol showing and are calls going VoLTE.

Mind you Virgin's system is rubbish. I'll be glad to see the back of it 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

VoLTE was turned off, I've switched it on, doesn't seem t have made any difference as yet

Hi mike38159

Thanks for getting back to us.

Have you found this issue to be area specific? For example, are you only receiving a poor signal when at home or when out and about too?

You can also check the signal coverage in your area here

Let us know

Beth

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Reminder that on the S21 WiFi Calling has to be turned on in two places. One of the buttons in the pull down configuration menu and in the dialer.

To test:  If you put your phone in aeroplane mode. Then activate WiFi on its own you should be able to make a call if all is working correctly.

Hi Beth

Yes, its specific to home since upgrading my contract to 5G and a change of SIM.

It wasn't great on 4G but was better than it is now.

I'm currently at home, its flicking between 0 and 1 bar, thats why I looked into a signal booster.