Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Signal low only 0 to 1 bar on 4G/1 to 2 bars on 3G

Hi,i know it's been a big problem what i have read a lot about Virgin Mobile has not very good signal on 4G as although it's EE it doesn't have all the Bands as it's missing the 800Mhz which what i read is the 4G,i have had to go onto 3g in the house even if it does show i have a good signal area and i get 1 or 2 bars which is still very low but it just works.

Is it true that the 800mHz is missing and also is this the reason my 4g is so bad and 3g is low,the phone is 100% A1 and is a Galaxy s10 and i get a better signal if i put my Vodafone SIM in PAYG.

Vodafone is......4g= 1 or 2 bars........3g=2 or 3 bars.

V.Mobile...........4g=0 or 1 (can't use) 3g= 1 or 2 bars.

So this means Vodafone has the same signal on 4g as V.M has on 3g.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Signal low only 0 to 1 bar on 4G/1 to 2 bars on 3G

First, you can't compare Vodafone to Virgin. If is almost certain that the signal will come from different masts. Vodafone also has access to some lower frequencies which helps with range and indoor coverage in some situations.

Virgin do not have access to EE 800Mhz 4G as this is reserved for monthly paying EE customers and carries Voice over 4G

Virgin have access to1800MHz , 2100MHz and 2600MHz for 4G

As far as calls go Virgin are restricted to using 3G and this is the important signal to watch for voice problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

So this is my problem then when on 4G it's lower if no signal and V.M have the full 3G meaning i get a better signal which i have to use.

I hope when V.M goes to Vodafone middle of next year you get the full use of the Network as if not i have no option i will have to switch as the bottom line a phone is what it's for mainly...calls and no signal on a 4g or 1 bar just aint good at all.

Also WiFi calling is not the best as you move as that's what mobile phone is ''mobile''and loose the WiFi like outside the call is ended so cuts off.

Even if i switch on 4G and WiFi calling and in the house incoming calls are hit and miss as if i get a call and i get 1 bar on 4G it tries to connect to the Network but if on 0 (no bars so no signal) it switches to WiFi and as said.....WiFi to 4G can drop calls or in this case a person saying we can't get you as its coming up no signal being on 4G,i turn off 4G and on 3G and turn WiFi calling off at least people can ring me but is bad where i have to go to 3G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's wholly intentional network design on EE's part that their 2G & 3G networks must always exceed the coverage of their "standard" 4G network in order to allow for PAYG & MVNO users to have voice call service in all circumstances.

That requirement doesn't apply when you either have access to the 4G-calling service and/or 800MHz where you should rarely (if ever) use 2G or 3G coverage.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So would you say this is my problem on 4G that if i have it on and don't get the band 800 i get low to no signal, also i don't have VoLTE on.

Also is it true 4g as the mobile network setting say..........LTE/3g/2g   or    3g/2g......not 4g/3g/2g. or are all phones like this on the setting.

And is this the problem with all WiFi calling one of the downfalls of it as the network comes first so if low 4g signal it will work off that even if full WiFi signal so then when a person rings it's trying to get 4g off and on so can't contact me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

LTE is 4G. So VoLTE just means "Voice over LTE". Different phones have different specific "preferred network" options.

All my phones are on EE-direct, where the order of preference is VoLTE > VoWiFi > 3G > 2G, but they also have full call handover between "4G voice" & WiFi-calling so this is a non-issue.

I don't use Virgin Mobile so can't comment on how their phones are setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for your advice and getting back to me.

I have been on the Android site and they have informed me that done take the phone signal bars on a phone 100% as they will always read just a bit lower and some phones have a 5 bar and some phones have 4 bars but mine has the 4 bar the S10.

They said put the ''network cell info Lite'' in which i have already in and never compared it and they were right.

I get 113 to 115dBm on the phone and 25 asu on 1 bar on phone and on the network app i get a steady 114dBm and this in 2 bars on the phone on 4G.

This says it's a very poor signal but i don't take the info on the internet as it says 110dBm or over is no signal which is wrong as i have around 113 to 115 and it's still on 1 bar on phone or more accurate 2 bars on the App info......3G gives me a bit more like 97dBm but as you know 4g don't measure the same as 3g so although it's higher on 3g don't mean I'm going to get a better and clear/stronger signal,i just wish Wi-Fi calling would work better in the house and leave it on 4g as my router gives out a full bar read out.

0 Kudos