Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Service will be disrupted if I don't swap SIM?

I keep getting texts such as this: "Your service will be disrupted within 18 days if you do not swap your SIM. Outgoing and receiving calls, excluding 999, texts and data from this number will stop working. To avoid this disruption, insert the new SIM we sent you. For help, please visit virginmedia.com/simhelp or call us on 789"

I had an upgrade a few months ago and everything was fine. I've tried clicking the link but it tells me the page doesn't exist and I'm seeing recommendations not to call as they're extremely busy. Any ideas?

Tags (3)
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Service will be disrupted if I don't swap SIM?

Hello

Do you have a red sim or purple sim ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I too would like to know when the services will finally be turned off as been receiving these messages for over 2 years but as it's an old Nokia don't want to changeover the SIM until service stops.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully before the end of this year is all I have from Virgin. They will publish warnings before it happen

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's what i asked though - the warning says disruption in 18 days time but is that true or just to 'encourage' customers to swap over ? As if it's not until the end of the year then I need not do anything yet. Surely they won't be using Vodafone though now they've joined up with O2 ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

'to 'encourage' customers to swap over ? As if it's not until the end of the year then I need not do anything yet'

i'd guess so but of course it is easily forgotten. i've no doubt at the end of the year plenty will lose phone access and be complaining on here having put it off at the time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sometime this year could be next month or 5 months time.

They have been putting out the new SIM cards since the end of 2017 but now there is a concerted effort to get this done and dusted, and the campaign has become more 'aggressive'.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Patchthehamster wrote:

I keep getting texts such as this: "Your service will be disrupted within 18 days if you do not swap your SIM. Outgoing and receiving calls, excluding 999, texts and data from this number will stop working. To avoid this disruption, insert the new SIM we sent you. For help, please visit virginmedia.com/simhelp or call us on 789"

I had an upgrade a few months ago and everything was fine. I've tried clicking the link but it tells me the page doesn't exist and I'm seeing recommendations not to call as they're extremely busy. Any ideas?

The web page it's trying to send you to is this one https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/mobile/sim-help

What was the upgrade you had? Most plan changes in the last few years should trigger a new Virgin Media SIM which means you should have swapped your SIM then and not be getting the messages now.

You shouldn't ignore the message. As the SIM change is required, if Virgin Media think they've sent you a new SIM and you're not using it, then you will start losing services when they start advising you of that fact. The warnings are correct.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone, I’ve solved it! I dug out the information and packaging my phone came in and, sure enough, found a SIM card (purple). I swapped them over and now everything is working fine. I’m not quite sure how I missed that step in setting up. I suspect I thought I just needed to put my old SIM in as I wasn’t changing my number, and that the message referred to a new number. Anyway, thanks for you help!

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm back again. Having swapped my SIM I've now had the following message:

"URGENT ACTION NEEDED: Both outgoing and receiving calls, excluding 999, texts and data from this number will stop working in 10 days' time. To avoid please insert the new SIM we sent you. For more info on why you need to swap your SIM, please visit virginmedia.com/simhelp"

As I said I've already swapped my SIM so any idea why I'm still getting these messages?

0 Kudos