cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service number calls - £39.50 charged

suetizard
Joining in

Checking through my Mum's bill and there's a charge for £39.50 to a "Service Number Calls" 0843 552 5926, it says the call lasted an hour and 46 seconds from 12.03.
This call seems to have followed on from an actual call made, but there were text messages sent from the phone at 12.41 during what is supposed to be the hour call?
Anyone know what this might be?
I'll call Virgin if I can establish it's an error, but what's the chances of "pocket dialing" and then sending a text message during a call?

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Calls to 084 & 087 from any UK phone are charged in two elements - the "Access Charge" levied by your phone provider (Virgin Mobile in this case) and the "service charge" levied by the organisation you call. There's more info at https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/how-muc... - scroll down to "084" & "087" drop down.

Also "what are the costs of calling service numbers" on this VM help page - so your bill should have 2 entries with each charge labelled accordingly.

Mobile phones can send text messages while on voice calls, so that charge seems perfectly valid - perhaps check the message log on your Mum's phone to see if this message was sent at the time the bill says it was?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for you post @suetizard, and a very warm welcome to our Community Forums

We're sorry to hear of the call changes that have been racked up on the mobile phone account.

Have you possibly discussed this call and the text messages with your Mother? 

It may be a case that she's not terminated this call and gone about her daily business...

Kindest regards,

David_Bn