Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sending to shortcode SMS number no longer works on new purple SIM

Hi,

I used to be able to send to SMS to shortcode numbers e.g. DirectLine Insurance - on same phone, since new purple SIM update, it no longer works ("badly formatted number" error). 

This has nothing to do with the phone, as I repeat, it was working on same phone before - when I phone 789, I got nowhere as they kept rambling on about my make & model of the phone, this is nonsense. 

They told me the SMS centre number must be +447458399008 - this is the correct number in my SMSC setting, so it does not explain the problem - besides, the number was sent by Virgin as part of the service settings. 

So what is going on? Why suddenly same shortcode SMS numbers that used to work before can not be sent to any more on the updated purple SIM ?!?!

This is very serious issue when only SMS number to some companies is a shortcode number. 

Any ideas much appreciated, this is absolutely incredible frustrating problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending to shortcode SMS number no longer works on new purple SIM

This has come up before. Since moving to their own core network with the new SIM cards short codes appear no longer supported.

Biggest complaint is the one for NHS appointments!

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wow... this is bordering on illegal or at least absolutely fatal. How can this be allowed? Absolute nonsense technically, it would be revolting if someone moved another operator that didn't support it, but to be on same operator and pull support...

Many companies for important communications use shortcodes. How can Virgin get away with this?! should it be reported to Ofcom? this is absolutely astonishing!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The only thing I can think of is turning off premium call barring on your account. It may be they are treating all short codes as premium rate.

I know Plus Net don't do them. My own supplier, Voxi, seem to use a white list of acceptable codes.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Did a search and came upon this from one of the team

We're very sorry that we're not able to support the short codes for texting on the mobile network.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not really.. it's down to what's classed as a basic service that all providers offer, and what can potentially be classed as "premium" or "extra", where budget providers can sometimes fall down or not have.

Texts to standard 07xxx numbers (heck, even to landlines) are a standard service, shortcodes can well be classed as extra. Virgin isn't the only MVNO to not support this.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Awesome... thanks for the answers, it is truly surreal and way beyond what I could expect in terms of devious and downright disfunctional attitude in providing "service".

If NHS and insurers etc. rely on these shortcode numbers, but an operator simply refuses to support them... then something very serious and systemic is wrong in this country if this can be done on a whim and no consequences. 

Well done Virgin, again and again they are able to surprise me with the level of frustrating nonsense they can get away with.

0 Kudos