Menu
Dlamerton91
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Scam or real?

• Hello, I've been receiving text messages from +447983911343 basically saying 
  • VIRGIN: We have been unable to take payment, services will be terminated if you do not update your billing information here: [removed]
  • Now ive searched this website and jt doesn't exist. I've also done a search on the number and nothing has come up, its not the first text but ive just paid my mobil bill on 16 Jan 2021 and I would like to know whos texting me at 1am with these messages. 

Is it real? Or a scam

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam or real?

It is a common scam.  The criminals behind this can easily identify blocks of mobile numbers that were allocated to particular telcos (though this doesn't allow them to know the number has been ported to a new network), hence it appearing to be from VM.  But all of these "update your billing details" or "we are about to take £95, update your details to stop this" are simply attempts to get the easily hoodwinked to release their bank and identity details.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam or real?

Hi Dlamerton91,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with these scam texts voiced, thank you for bringing these to our attention. I can confirm the example you've posted is indeed a scam.

I have some useful information for certain aspects of scammers which I feel will help.

If you get any scam calls from these people we ask customers to report their number to TPS which helps to combat scam calls like this. Unless you have asked for a call back please be wary of these calls - we never ask to take control of your desktop as this is something they ask for as well.

Any scam/phishing emails can be forwarded to phishing@virginmedia.co.uk and our team will be able to report them and get their email addresses blocked. 

I also have a link here for even more advice and tips to keep you safe from fraudsters.

I hope this helps!

Megan_L

0 Kudos