Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 46
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam message or real?

@Emily_G  Being old I remember these things! Early on PAYG could be bought over the counter without any need to give a name and address. There was no need to register and people often bought top up vouchers with their local shopping.

It is these phones that are now causing the problems as there are no records on the system. Hence texts for addresses etc and a number of other problems turning up on a daily basis. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Only taken 5000+ views for someone to finally understand my situation (and many others). Thank you enlli!!! 

Now, what do we do about it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 23 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam message or real? So is it a scam text or not ??

I've receivved a text message about a new Sim card, first it asked for my post code, second message asked for first line of my address, I'm very very poor at texting, are these messages genuine as the Community Forum isn't exactly clear, is it  genuine , is there another way of getting them to send the sim card, I am registered  with name and address on My Virgin and Virgin mobile ? ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the messages that I received, and I joined this forum to find out if they are real or not. Having read other posts it appears they are real. I replied but as yet have heard nothing, and have not received any help on here either. You could try phoning 789 but only if you can answer set security questions about your account. If, like me, you can't answer their questions they will cut you off! Best of luck!

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 25 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary , maybe I'll just use up my Credit then  move to another provider, but keep the phone number I have cos it's any easy one to remember and buy a slightly better phone than my tiny old £15 quid Nokia  ! 😇

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 46
Flag for a moderator

2 days on from Virgin finally realising our situation and still no answer of how to proceed. 

5000+ views in 2 weeks and no real helpful replies from Virgin is simply not acceptable. From the look of other replies on this forum many other people are in the same position, or worse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 27 of 46
Flag for a moderator

My 82 year old father is having the same issues.
He has had the same, easy to operate, phone for many years on PAYG. Its a rubbish little phone, but he knows how to use it and allows him to send text and phone people.
But he has had 3 text in the passed 2 weeks asking for his postcode so they can send him out a new sim card, but none asking for a line of an address, but all from 789445.
Up until now i have told him to ignore them as i was positive it was a scam.
He has been scammed before, so i am very wary for him to reply to anything that i cannot get a definitive answer to.
Is this genuine and something he should reply to, or should we just continue to ignore it, but then do we run the risk of him being cut off?
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 46
Flag for a moderator

@drew71 wrote:
My 82 year old father is having the same issues.
He has had the same, easy to operate, phone for many years on PAYG. Its a rubbish little phone, but he knows how to use it and allows him to send text and phone people.
But he has had 3 text in the passed 2 weeks asking for his postcode so they can send him out a new sim card, but none asking for a line of an address, but all from 789445.
Up until now i have told him to ignore them as i was positive it was a scam.
He has been scammed before, so i am very wary for him to reply to anything that i cannot get a definitive answer to.
Is this genuine and something he should reply to, or should we just continue to ignore it, but then do we run the risk of him being cut off?

He should reply or he will be cut off 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 46
Flag for a moderator

"He should reply or he will be cut off" 

dannylau, maybe Virgin should have made that clear to their customers in their texts, as there is no mention of it specifically. 

Getting back to my own phone problem, we have found paperwork from Virgin sent to my wife about "her account" which has my mobile number on it, but not hers! She also is unable to log in to her account, due to being unable to answer a security question that was never asked in the first place...sound familiar? Still not had a response to my personal message about the account number that we found in my wifes' paperwork; would Virgin have record of that? As they are taking a direct debit against that account you would have thought so!

Personally I would close all Virgin accounts as there is no support. After all, you wouldn't buy a car that you can't get serviced would you???

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Yet another week has gone by. Still no sign of new SIM card. Loads of messages from Virgin, NONE of which pertain to my questions; they are all about team ratings, kudos points, etc. 

Note to Virgin...how about stop wasting time on that crap and sort out your customers problems?