Menu
AVGVSTVS
Up to speed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scam Calls ~ How did they obtain the phone numbers?

Hi

I have had in the past been receiving numerous calls about a fraudalent credit card or car accident. Obviously knowing straight away they were trying to scam me as soon as I recognised the accents and poor dialect. Each time I just hung up without saying anything and blocked their numbers yet they kept calling me.

I have been reading a lot of articles about the criminal activity coming from India and watched some YouTube videos of scammers being found out and hacked by some clever hackers who are doing everybody a favour by fighting back. Some call centres have closed down but sadly this is still going on despite the country being gripped by a more deadlier Covid pandemic than here in UK.

It brings me to this question. How did these scammers obtain our numbers to call from a call centre in a grotty building in an Indian city? Also, what about our email addresses? Now that a lot of our Virgin Media call centres are situated in India since outscourcing from the UK, would it be possible at least one or a few VM India employees may have been selling our mobile numbers and passed them on to scammers?

If that has been the case, then none of our UK call centres should have been outsourced in the first place. Learning the fact that illegal call centres have been swindling many vulnerable victims to tune of billions in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and NZ over a period of nearly 20 years. 

My mobile phone was hacked into a couple of years ago and my credit card was used. Although I was refunded, I am still angry it happened and more so that these scams are still taking place.

Close the India call centres and bring the jobs back to UK.

Thanks for reading

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam Calls ~ How did they obtain the phone numbers?

None of the above. Ofcom publish a list of dialling prefixes allocated to each UK mobile operator. With that information and the use of auto-diallers the scammers simply phone every number combination with tailored calls or texts. No need for conspiracy theories or other theories about how it's done. Given that the calls are generated using computer based dialling it is easy to perpetrate but difficult to stop.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AVGVSTVS
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.
This will help to raise more awareness and understanding of how the illicit operations are run and how to avoid them by not playing into their hands.
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Worth a read

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/05/1-billion-nuisance-calls-made-to-people-in-the-uk-in-2...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos