Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

SMS only with data/WiFi!!

For some reason I can now only send SMS messages with WI-Fi or data switched on.

Why is this why have I been stopped from sending SMS messages using the ordinary mobile networks.

I am sick of Virgin messing me about, I am solely tempted to go to one of their competitors if this is not sorted out quickly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMS only with data/WiFi!!

That sounds like your phone is trying to send them as MMS, which would require data to be on. 

SMS is part of the old GSM standards and can only use the phone signal, data should make no difference 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

And for some reason I have just sent a text but I have not made any changes to the set-up on my phone and I've not switched on the data or the Wi-Fi so is someone in virgin meddling with my account? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi wilber_force, thanks for your post - sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I'm also sorry to hear you've encountered this problem when trying to send text messages.

Further to enlli's suggestion above - many handsets will convert longer text messages to MMS messages automatically, and group messages too if you're sending to more than one contact at once. This would need to be turned off in the handset's settings. 

If this continues after you've checked the settings and everything seems correct based on the above please let us know.

Tom 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

Things seem to have stabilised once I found the setting that is only against my wife in the messages app about sending SMS and MMS messages.  No idea why it is just against her, I've not seen it against others, not really looked at many contacts, all a bit weird.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm glad to hear this seems to be resolved for you. 

^Martin

0 Kudos