Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SMS messages not arriving or sending

Sorry in advance, I have a few things going on so thought I best list them.

i have recently (last week) switched to the Ooooomph service with the unlimited Data/Sim. At the same time I also ported over my old mobile number from Vodafone

I get little to no Signal at home so have been needing to use WiFi calling to make and receive calls, the quality is mixed but that is not my main problem. 

My phone is a iPhone Xs 

This is a list of what I am experiencing (iMessages  work but this is about standard texts)

• on WiFi calling I cannot send and receive text messages, the calls fail.
    if I move to somewhere with a 4G signal I can send messages and receive but there seems to be a significant delay in receipt
  • Even on 4G I am not receiving any messages from authentication services (for example Office365 or personal banking multi factor authentication)

I have tried the following

• resetting carrier settings (by download and manually)
  • resetting phone 
  • turning data on and off

i also noted that at one point it tried to send texts as if I was located in A different location than the uk. I have seen others experience this and the fix was to change my location on phone to somewhere else and back again. This seems to have resolved this particular issue

Any thoughts?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMS messages not arriving or sending

Just to add that the delay I mention when on a 4G connection might not be the issue as I am not sure how often text messages are retried when the first attempt fails. So the delay in receiving old messages when back on 4G might simply be the sending carrier not attempting to resend straight away

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just managed to send a sms whilst on WiFi calling and no carrier connection (ie 3 or 4G). It was received by the other person but their replies did not arrive
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another addition. I am not convinced this is only WiFi calling related as went to friends last night with good 4G and had intermittent experience. A text she sent to me arrived straightaway but other texts that I had received earlier in the day, including bank authentication texts, arrived over the next few hours randomly
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Today WiFi calling has disappeared completely. Have tried a reset (of phone, phone network settings and hub), toggling WiFi, mobile data and airplane mode on and off. Completely not working

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am shocked and disgusted by Virgins technical support

after being on the phone numerous times and on hold waiting to get through for up to an hour each time I find that they have closed my ticket (P010013304) as resolved! Never had they checked with me as to whether the problem is fixed as, if they had, I would have confirmed it is not!

Whilst I have now wasted a week thinking the problem was being looked into seriously I have narrowed down the issue to the following when using the phone on wifi calling and there being no alternative mobile signal

• imessage works for sending and receiving (I have an iPhone XS)
  • I can send normal SMS ok
  • I CANNOT receive any SMS whilst in WiFi calling. If I travel away from my house to get a mobile signal I will eventually receive the messages (though sometimes not for a while)
  • This issue is with ANY SMS sent to me be it from a person or automated as part of, for example, an Office365 multi factor authentication process

Can i please get some help with this

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Redding43, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered this problem with WiFi calling on your handset - and for any confusion around the cause of it.

I understand this has been raised previously - assuming the handset came from Vodafone (as that's where you're porting from) the information here may clear things up: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/No-Wifi-Calling-Why/td-p/4295658

Tom

0 Kudos